Saturday, June 27, 2009

Chris Young - Drinkin' Me Lonely

A while back, I used to like watching (the now canceled) Nashville Star, a country music version of American Idol. During the competition, there was always one evening where the contestants had to sing a song that they had written.

I remember watching Chris Young perform Drinkin' Me Lonely and saying I'd pay money for that song.

I did.

Country music has a long tradition of "done me wrong" songs, and an entire sub-genre devoted to alcohol. This is a fine addition to that camp, as is the song Flowers from his self-titled CD about a man that sobered up after his drunken crash killed his wife.





Drinkin' Me Lonely (Songwriters: Chris Young, Larry Wayne Clark)
I'm pushing you away each time I pull up that ol' barstool,
And drownin’ you in every drop I drink.
I'm telling you to go to hell but I’m talking to myself
‘Cuz you’re not around to hear what I think.
I’m trying to teach my heart to hate you,
But it ain’t workin’ right
Now the truth is I’m only drinkin’ me lonely tonight.

Lord, it’s more than just thirsty that I’m feeling inside
‘cause these tears I’ve been crying have left me bone dry,
I wish the bartender had a cure I could buy,
But the truth is I'm only, drinkin' me lonely tonight.

He said I’d have to choose between your love and this old bar room,
And I just laughed, but I guess you knew best,
Who cares whose right or wrong tonight, my better half is gone
And this whiskey's laying claim to all that’s left.
So I'll just order up another and pretend I'm all right,
When the truth is I’m only drinkin’ me lonely tonight.

And Lord, it’s more than just thirsty that I’m feeling inside
‘cause these tears I’ve been crying have left me bone dry,
And I wish the bartender had a cure I could buy,
But the truth is I'm only drinkin' me lonely tonight.

No comments: