Sunday, June 28, 2009

Can I just say that I have a little crush on Jenny Sanford?

No, not like that. Like this:
When I found out about my husband's infidelity I worked immediately to first seek reconciliation through forgiveness, and then to work diligently to repair our marriage. We reached a point where I felt it was important to look my sons in the eyes and maintain my dignity, self-respect, and my basic sense of right and wrong. I therefore asked my husband to leave two weeks ago.
And this:
I believe enduring love is primarily a commitment and an act of will, and for a marriage to be successful, that commitment must be reciprocal. I believe Mark has earned a chance to resurrect our marriage.
And this:
Psalm 127 states that sons are a gift from the Lord and children a reward from Him. I will continue to pour my energy into raising our sons to be honorable young men. I remain willing to forgive Mark completely for his indiscretions and to welcome him back, in time, if he continues to work toward reconciliation with a true spirit of humility and repentance.
Translation: shape up and walk the line, mister.

Quite some time ago, I mused on the differences between Princesses and Cowgirls:
However, speaking as someone who several decades ago had to choose between princesses and cowgirls, I'd tell the boys to go with the cowgirls every day. As Postrel says:
I expected the museum to be stupid. It wasn't. In stark contrast to the ridiculous Women's Museum in Dallas, which (the one time I visited it) featured a strange combination of populist kitsch and social-constructionist feminist dogma, the Cowgirl Museum showcased women of no-nonsense character, pioneer (and pioneering) achievement, physical daring, and unapologetic femininity.
No-nonsense character. Pioneering achievement. Daring. Feminine. Yeah, baby.
That's what built this country, and it's alive and well in the South Carolina Governor's Mansion. Without the Governor.

3 comments:

Paladin said...

I completely agree. If I saw one more woman doing the "devoted and compliant" wife thing behind her husband while he cries at a news conference -

Its nice to see someone that obviously loves her family, but isn't willing to have that family crapped on to save face for her husband's political aspirations.

Home on the Range said...

She has a lot of class. It's well known that she's the power, money and talent behind that man, who would never had made governor without her help and skill. The way she replied sent a clear message to her children as to how adults should act, as well as a clear message to the man himself.

doubletrouble said...

That's it Brigid- class.

Besides that, doesn't she look a little like Julia Roberts?

That dude's a bit of a fool...