Friday, June 26, 2009

Why I don't buy from the iTunes store

I went to install an app on my iPhone (Target Practice, which looks fun, and is free). I was told by iTunes that the terms and conditions had changed, and I had to click to agree.

No problem, right? Do a quick read through, may get something interesting.

Twenty-eight pages. Boy, howdy.

Actually, there is something interesting. The agreement let's them charge sales tax. I'd post an excerpt via the new iPhone 3.0 cut-and-paste feature, except Apple doesn't seem to let you cut that.

Interesting, in a bad way. I'm afraid that It's stuff like this that makes me distrust Apple. Is this abuse of the closed architecture? Who knows. So I'll buy CDs and rip them, or DRM-free MP3s from Amazon. And I'll be able to listen to them on Ubuntu, too.

Note to Apple Marketing: it's almost impossible to regain trust after you lose it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with 90% of what you said, but iTunes is no longer DRM

http://www.apple.com/itunes/whatsnew/

Borepatch said...

Anonymous, thanks for the information. It's been quite some time since I've bought songs from iTunes. I have plenty that I can't listen to right now.