Tuesday, June 2, 2009

What do you do with a .10 caliber pistol?

A couple months ago, #2 Son and I met JayG at the local Gun Show (yes they have them, even in the Boston area!). I picked up a copy of the late, great Ian Hogg's The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Firearms.

Now Al Gore's Intartubes has made dead tree reading somewhat obsolete, if you're going for info about 1911s or Glocks, or even M1 Garands. However, what you miss out by sitting in front of the CRT* is the ability to flip through the pages, amusing yourself with the random oddball that lies on the pages. For example, on the page facing the Krag-Jorgensen, I found this:

A Kolibri Erika 2.7 mm (.105 cal) self loading pistol. Yes, that's a penny next to it.

So, just how big is a 2.7 mm cartridge? Here's a picture comparing (left to right) the 2.7 mm Kolibri, the 4.25 mm Liliput, and the .45 ACP. As you can imagine, these are highly collectable and even the ammunition is insanely expensive ($90 a round).

The pictures are all from a very informative page at Horst Held Antique Handguns in Midlothian, TX. Looks to be worth at least a detour, if you're in the neighborhood.

All this is great fun and historically interesting, of course, but it begs the question: just what do you do with one of these babies? Assuming, of course, that money were no object.

Me? I have no idea. So I'm tossing the question back to you, gentle reader. What would you do with one?

What use is a .10 caliber pistol?

View Results
Create a Blog Poll

* Yes, I am a dinosaur. Why do you ask?

8 comments:

none said...

Back in the early 80's I had that Ian V Hogg book and another on on gyrojet pistols. I wish I still did.

I would love to shoot one of those.
It makes my NAA mini .22 revolver look like a hand cannon

Jay G said...

That's the show where I passed on the $500 Colt Mustang.

Damn you for bringing up that painful memory!

(kidding)

As for the 0.1 caliber, well... From the looks of it, I'd wonder if it would even penetrate skin...

Anonymous said...

Hey Jay;\
Colt Mustang's are going for $1200.00 in Tampa Florida.

Borepatch said...

Hammer, I had several of his books growing up. It would sure be fun to shoot one, assuming you can find it. Looks like this place would be a hike for you (it's a REAL hike for me from Massachusetts).

Jay, a day out with #2 Son and me? Painful? ;-)

DIMY, $1200 - ouch!

ASM826 said...

It's not practical, I can't take it to the range. I'm better off owning something I can and will shoot. It's worth a lot of money to a collector, so I sell it. And the ammo.

Not even a question. It has no use to me.

TOTWTYTR said...

Sure, sure, it's all fun until someone gets shot in the eye with a .10 caliber bullet and loses and eye.

NotClauswitz said...

I think you shoot Angels off the head of a pin with those.
Actually I believe that caliber was a kind of Fin De Siècle carryover, parlor guns for shooting flies and mosquitoes.

BobG said...

You could probably shoot mice, if you could get close enough to be in range.