Wednesday, August 24, 2011

NPR's stupid list

Yeah, I read a bunch of 'em.  You know what?  My list of which of these fiction "great works" I've read hasn't changed at all in twenty years.  Maybe I should read more fiction.  Maybe I should have more respect for NPR's Top 100 list.

Maybe I should have more respect for NPR.

I'm sorry, I'm not interested.  I don't agree with a lot of their list, I'm not particularly interested in getting into why with them, and don't particularly want to have the "fiction vs. non-fiction" debate with them.  Or the "What is it that makes a person truly educated" debate with them.

(Funny, Acquinas isn't on their list anywhere.  Probably too hard for them.)

So somewhere, there's an NPR drone supported by my tax dollars who gets to choose what it is to be a member of the Intellectual Class.  Oooooh kaaaay.

Ya know, I remember those early 2000's PBS commercials: "If PBS doesn't do it, who will?"  Yeah, that's my worry.

Die screaming in a fire, PBS.

9 comments:

bluesun said...

Yeah. I've read a bunch of them. I've read a bunch of other science fiction too, that I thought was better than some of the stuff on that list.

Besides, coming into a meme this late in the game is a little... ho hum.

Guffaw in AZ said...

Thanks for posting this. I've read some, but, as many have commented, names/titles are missing.
Who died and left NPR boss? And my own personal taste is away from fantasy.
So, who cares?
gfa

jetaz said...

So, Borepatch, tell us how you really feel. Don't hold it in. Let it out. Sharing your feelings is good for your soul.

:)

wv: mobarke. I doubt it would get built before the Deluge.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

OPFOR intel, man. It keeps me ahead of their OODA-loop

Robert McDonald said...

A good bit of the list is fluff, but Heinlein was there, as was Goodkind's Conan the Libertarian.

Southern Belle said...

I couldn't believe The Stand made it.... I hated that stupid book.

I'm not much of a Sci-fi fan actually.

NotClauswitz said...

Totally Agree - in a fire with their tapes and microphones melting about their ears - maybe as performance immolation-art at Burning Man even.

socaliti - itiots from SoCal?

RobertSlaughter said...

Kevin @ Smallest Minority has a counter-proposal regarding the NPR list you might appreciate: http://smallestminority.blogspot.com/2011/08/top-100.html

Broken Andy said...

Yes, Kevin's list is better... if for no other reason than I think much more of Kevin than I ever have of NPR.

But I hadn't really thought about it until Borepatch made mention of it, but I tend to read a lot more non-fiction than fiction these days.