Monday, February 1, 2010

"It's always better to leave the party early."

Says Bill Waterson, creator of Calvin and Hobbs, on why he stopped writing it:
If I had rolled along with the strip's popularity and repeated myself for another five, 10 or 20 years, the people now "grieving" for "Calvin and Hobbes" would be wishing me dead and cursing newspapers for running tedious, ancient strips like mine instead of acquiring fresher, livelier talent. And I'd be agreeing with them.
It's his first interview in years and years. I always appreciated the way that Waterson drew the pictures, which often went well beyond what you'd get just about anywhere:


Via From The Barrel Of A Gun.

6 comments:

Paladin said...

One of my favorite birthday presents was a bound collection of Calvin and Hobbes strips from my Daughter one year.

Anonymous said...

15 years already?

Jim

Lissa said...

I loved Calvin and Hobbes, and I was so sad to see them end, but I think perhaps Waterson was right. After all, Garfield was funny once upon a time too . . . like twenty years ago . . .

Eagle said...

"Always leave them wanting more." - Walt Disney

the pistolero said...

"Always leave them wanting more." - Walt Disney

BW did that, for damn sure -- he and Gary Larson too.

Anonymous said...

Heh. My sons love reading my old Calvin and Hobbes collection. Well I do to......