Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Reunion

Mom has joined me here at FOB Borepatch, which is very nice indeed.  I'm not one who much likes living alone, with no family around, and I'm looking forward to having her for a while.  She's also not used to living alone, and is happy to be here - the fact that I'd scored some sweet, sweet Big Band CDs (Glen Miller, Bennie Goodman, Tommy Dorsey) was just the icing on the cake.

And so I really didn't much mind that her flight yesterday was delayed two hours.  Instead of fixing dinner here like I'd planned, we stopped on the way back from the airport at Chuy's Tex-Mex (who knew they had a Wikipedia entry?).  It didn't disappoint, and we had a lovely dinner talking of cabbages and Kings.

I hadn't realized that it was a year ago that day since the last time I saw Dad.  I'm sure that if she weren't here, you'd be reading another overly pensive post about the meaning of Life, the universe, and Everything.  Now I'll just agree with Thomas Jefferson: The best moments of my life have been those surrounded by my family.

9 comments:

agirlandhergun said...

Ahh, that is awesome! Hope your time together is wonderful!

P.S. I like your posts on the meaning of life.

Old NFO said...

Enjoy the time, and remember the GOOD times...

Duke said...

That's neat you have your mom at the FOB, It's a good thing.

JD said...

Having posting problems. . .

anyway sending good thoughts BP. Good idea to get mom over for the day. My family took mom for a vacation over my dads first birthday after we lost him. was better for all of us.

And stop dwelling on the meaning of life, it is 42 - but you probably already knew that. . . .

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only gun guy who listened to Glen Miller. My father knew him and I started listening and got hooked.

Rev. Paul said...

I listen to Glenn Miller, but it usually makes me melancholy after a bit. I start thinking about what we were then, and what we've become, and and and ...

I'm glad you got to spend time with your mom. That's cool.

Borepatch said...

Thanks, everyone. It's nice to have her here.

2cents said...

Say "Hi" to your Mom for me! (She always liked me better than you.)

TOTWTYTR said...

It's nice that your mother can join you. Might take the edge off of being away from Fortress Borepatch. Speaking of which, I thought that the expedition was almost complete and you were going to close down FOB Borepatch?