Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pistol Annies - Boys From The South

(Image source)
Some time back, Brock Townsend posted this.  I find that I quite like the neo-traditional sound of the Pistol Annies. 

Miranda Lambert is familiar to Country music fans, and the group had its genesis when she and long time friend Ashley Monroe began writing songs that didn't quite fit either of their acts.  But they liked the songs, and kept writing.  After a couple of years, they had quite a selection of music, and when Angaleena Presley entered the mix, the idea of a girl band sprang to life.

I hope they keep putting out music - although all three are still pursuing their own solo careers (and Lambert is the newlywed Mrs. Blake Shelton now).  Unlike their delightfully gold digging song Hell On Heels, this is filled with southern sentimentality and is entirely safe to listen to with your kids.



Boys From The South (Songwriters: Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe)
Maybe he's in Texas, maybe this town
Maybe Oklahoma plowin' up some ground
Southern Carolina, somewhere on the coast
Maybe Alabama drivin' through Montgomery
Right now, there's somethin' 'bout a boy from the South.

Maybe he's in Florida, somewhere in the pines
Maybe on the delta throwin' out a line
Maybe he's in Georgia, starin' at the stars
Maybe Tennessee pickin' on a guitar
Right now, there's somethin' 'bout a boy from the south

Yea, the first time I felt it I was only 16,
And he kissed me underneath the chinaberry tree.
Said "Goodnight darlin," with a sweet southern drawl.
Man, I think I might just have to love them all –
The boys from the South.

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Maybe in Kentucky, workin' in the mines
Maybe down in Little Rock, just to pass the time
Maybe he's somewhere in New Orleans,
Livin' it up in the Big Easy
Right now, there's somethin' 'bout a boy from the South

Yea, the first time I felt it I was only 16,
And he kissed me underneath the chinaberry tree.
Said "Goodnight darlin," with a sweet southern drawl.
Man, I think I might just have to love them all –
the boys from the South

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Maybe he's in Texas, maybe this town.
My boys from the South

Ooh, ooh, ooh

Ooh, ooh, ooh

Ooh, ooh, ooh

Oh yeah, yeah!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blake is a luck fella.

greg said...

Well, that's an okay song. I'm so slow to buy CD's these days, but I might have to pick this one up. The last one I bought was The Band Perry, and I've been pretty happy with it.

Ruth said...

I had to pick up the album after I heard Hell On Heels, and totally enjoy the whole thing. Not listened to it TONS, but I think most of the songs have come up in the rotation and I've enjoyed them.

Sabra said...

Greg, I'd volunteer to send you my husband's copy, but I don't know he'd be too happy with me if I did that. ;)

Let's just say I'm not a fan. I'm not terribly fond of Ms Lambert, either.

Borepatch, I need to find you a link to that Billy Joe Shaver song we talked about, if I can find it.

Sabra said...

Oh, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-4teVplZ8