Thursday, February 16, 2012

Is Santorum even worse than Romney?

Sure looks like it:
Doesn't sound very conservative to me. The GAS Act had all the hallmarks of the big government excess the Tea Party was trying to get away from in 2009 and 2010: new redundant federal criminal laws, federal commissions, picking winners and losers in the energy market, and, um, teleslacking federal employees.

Oh, did I mention Santorum voted for Sotomayor? Yeah, he did. At least he's not bragging about that anymore.
So he's a Big Government Conservative.  So what?  Well, he's a Nanny State Conservative, too:
[Reagan, in 1975] If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is.

Santorum of course strongly disagrees and every time Libertarianism is brought up he mocks it and states he's always fought against this pernicious idea that the government should provide freedom to the maximum extent possible.
, "One of the things I will talk about that no President has talked about before is I think the dangers of contraception in this country, the whole sexual libertine idea."
And:
, "I am not a libertarian, and I fight very strongly against libertarian influence within the Republican Party and the conservative movement."
Conservatives complain that Romney cannot explain conservatism. He speaks it as a second language. If that.

That's true.

On the other hand, Santorum not only can't speak in terms of a Freedom Agenda, but he expressly repudiates the very concept every single time he's asked about it.
Holy cow, I didn't think it was possible to get a worse candidate than Romney.  Good grief.

Via Married To The Sea

3 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

If you ask me, it's all mental masturbation to pick who's worse. Romney? Newt? Santorum?

No matter what the GOP has been very clear it wants another 4 years of Obama.

OK!

Ken said...

I got my absentee ballot for the primary sitting on my table, all ready to vote for the wookie.

Ken said...

Additional thought: In Santorum's minimal defense, at least we know what he actually believes.