Saturday, July 2, 2011

Lady Antebellum - The Star Spangled Banner

I grew up in a very liberal, Democratic family.  A very liberal, Democratic, and unashamedly patriotic family.  We saw this flag - the very one that flew over Ft. McHenry and was the inspiration for Frances Scott Key - in the Smithsonian Institution in 1974.  It was thrilling.

Nowadays, it seems that the Fourth of July is a "Conservative Celebration", or some such nonsense.  Strange.

Some might say that the National Anthem isn't a country music song at all, and they may be right.  Nevertheless, it's played every day on every Country radio station, which means that just about every Country artist has recorded it.

Lady Antebellum is one of the new Nashville groups that you either love or hate, which will have to be a post for another day.  But their rendition of the song is almost a hymn, and gave me goosebumps when I heard it.  I would have had the same goosebumps back in 1974, if I had heard it then.



And so, it is a Country song.  My Country's song.

5 comments:

Bob said...

Good rendition. I'm glad that they didn't take liberties with the melody, but I think that country singers have more respect for the song than pop singers do and don't feel the need to stroke their own ego when singing it.

Glenn B said...

The song was okay, in fact a nicer rendition of it at a large event as opposed to some that are flat out insulting. The singers showed some good amount of respect.

Yet, it upsets me to see the American Flag, at least a representation albeit a modification of it, held furled improperly then unfurled and dragged on the ground as it was for this event. The apparently acceptable lack of proper respect for our flag is astonishing and disheartening.

All the best,
Glenn B

Rick C said...

The guy in the plaid shirt needs to take his hands out of his dad-gum pockets and stop cutting his hair like he's Zack Ephron, too.

Dang. When did I get old?

Old NFO said...

YES! Thanks that was outstanding!

deadcenter said...

One of the best renditions I've seen came from Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs when he was working with the landscaping crew of a minor league baseball team.

Not fan of country music, but I do like Lady Antebellum. Enjoyed their rendition as well.