Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Your Philosopher Kings in action

Rick emails to say that the Department of Homeland Security has a warning out on turkey friers:
The Department of Homeland Security is taking any threat seriously during the Thanksgiving holiday, including the ominous threat to our national security posed by turkey fryers.

"How dangerous can turkey fryers be?" asks a warning issued on the official DHS Twitter account.
Fear not, Citizen, the Government has an answer for you.

I'd mock this, but in all fairness it comes pre-mocked from the Government Bureaucracy Factory.  And the mockery has no shelf life - it's good indefinitely!

It's times like this that I miss TJIC, and so let me (briefly) attempt to fill those large shoes.

Rope.

9 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I was wary of the idea of a DHS BEFORE the mission creep crept in.

ASM826 said...

I didn't need the gov't to tell me about deep frying turkeys. I've got YouTube for that.
Deep Frying Gone Bad

Happy Thanksgiving, Borepatch, to you and yours.

That Guy said...

So, is Peanut Oil going to be behind the pharmacist counter with the Sudafed and Iodine now?

Ken said...

State Farm has turkey frying safety tips on their Facebook page, including a video with William Shatner. I haven't watched it, but apparently he has had a mishap or two over the years.

instinct said...

The other question is "What the hell does this have to do with 'Homeland Security'"

Good Eats also did an episode about turkey friers and shows how to build a turkey derrick so you stay at a safe distance while inserting the bird.

Bob said...

The US Fire Administration (@usfire)tweeted several turkey fryer related warnings this year as part of its core public education mission.

Unfortunately USFA became part of DHS when DHS got FEMA.

ScottH said...

Hey Borepatch;

You can still get your TJIC fix on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/tjic

Anonymous said...

Because everyone over at DHS started out as a fireman. I wish I was kidding.

TJIC said...

> It's times like this that I miss TJIC

Thanks!

Just filled out some more paperwork today ; I hope to be back blogging in ~8 weeks or less. Fingers crossed!