Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Excellent Hotel security advice

Traction Control has a set of suggestions that are very, very good:
Floor Level: Pick a moderately high floor – 3rd or 4th floors provide protection against thrown objects from the street.Highest floors (15th or higher) may be problematic in a fire alarm evacuation.
There are a bunch more.  I would add that if someone knocks on your door, you should also call down to the front desk.  If the person is not security (or the police), then the front desk guy will call security (or the police).

But you did bring your .45, right?  ;-)

This actually happened once to Mom & Dad (who were tragically .45-less at the time).  But they called down, and soon the local Po-Po were doing a security sweep of the building.

RTWT, which has excellent suggestions.

7 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

I've read that you don't want to go above the 8th floor because most ground equipment (ladders) will not reach you after that.

Duke said...

Good advice, I never leave laptop or guns in room even if I go out to eat and come right back. I always travel with 3 guns min.

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

This reminds me, I need to record my new laptop's serial numbers and MAC addresses before I leave for the EMS Symposium tomorrow. The nature of the conference means it's usually not practical to take it with me.

That knock on the door could be one of my co-workers, but that just means I should remember to use the peep-hole before deciding whether or not to open the door.

I don't get a choice of room or floor, and they have valet parking, but everything else is good.

And yes, the .45 does go with me, and it stays on my hip. :) Thank goodness for Virginia's preemption statute!

Divemedic said...

The 8th floor is generally the highest that a typical ladder truck, with a 105' ladder, can reach.

Also, I leave the light on in the bathroom and close the door. The light leaking out from under the door is sufficient to prevent the 2-3 seconds of disorientation caused by waking up in the dark in an unfamiliar place. In an emergency, that couple of seconds can be priceless.

Borepatch said...

I like the 3rd floor, and will settle for the 2nd floor.

Mark Horning said...

We actually used to get briefed on this stuff by the Air Force every year.

3rd or 4th floor is optimal, criminals normally target the 1st or 2nd (criminals are lazy and don't like stairs). higher than that and you usually have more limited egress options.

If the "front desk" calls, hang up and call them back, that way you know it actually is the front desk. Etc.

TOTWTYTR said...

No higher than the 5th floor. The 100' reach of a ladder truck is if the piece can get right next to the building, which they often can't.

Each floor in a commercial building is roughly 15'. So, that's about 75' and not all ladder trucks are 105', some are less.