Folks are emailing me about this, the release of a quarter million more emails from the ClimateGate crowd. I'm going to spend the long weekend digesting all of this - there's a ton of material here, but a lot of it is old hat. I want to see if I can tease some new threads of meaning out of the mass of data.
1. This crowd really hasn't learned anything. Like the old Bourbon Monarchs, they have learned nothing and forgotten nothing.
2. There is quite a lot here about the actual uncertainty involved in the science, that you simply don't hear the MSM reporting. Quite a lot indeed.
3. There's still much chatter about controlling membership on the IPCC panels. See initial thought #1.
4. There are some quite pungent emails about Mike Mann's infamous "Hockey Stick" paper. Even the High Priests think it was a load of dross.
5. Perhaps most interesting, there was a manifesto included in the data, presumably from the leaker (who is currently unknown). It's basically "Save the world's poor with cheap energy" which is pretty interesting. Whether this is the actual motivation, or simple misdirection, is unclear.
6. The misdirection idea is particularly interesting. Russia in particular has a history of annoyance directed at the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit. The have the motivation to kill restrictions on carbon fuels (Russia is a huge exporter of Natural Gas to Western Europe). They have hacking skills out the wazoo. I think that the leak is probably an inside job, but this is pretty interesting.
So I'll probably be quiet on this subject until I've digested things. I know that this violates my typical "ready-fire-aim" approach. Must be growing up, or something.