Monday, January 3, 2011

Quote of the Day

Those who accept this [Progressive Intellectual] vision are deemed to be not merely factually correct but morally on a higher plane. Put differently, those who disagree with the prevailing vision are seen as being not merely in error, but in sin.
Thomas Sowell, The Vision of the Anointed.

I've been saying for a while that Progressivism makes its adherents unable to think clearly.  Sowell suggests that they don't want to think clearly, and that Progressivism frees them from the requirement to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever see the Far Side cartoon with the bird sitting in cages suspended from trees, not leaving in spite of the door being open? I think some people are like that.

Jim

BobG said...

Political ideology reminds me of religion; you have people believing in a value system based purely on faith, and they cannot be dissuaded from that particular faith by arguments or logic.
Just my opinion.

Chris said...

I often recommend "The Vision of the Anointed" (and "Basic Economics") to people I meet that tell me they just don't "get" why some people believe in certain ideas that can be shown to be empirically wrong.