Tuesday, January 4, 2011

On this day in 1847

Sam Colt sold 1000 of these to the US Government.  It was his first sale to them, and put his company on a firm footing.

The Walker Colt Single Action revolver was the result of a collaboration between Sam Colt and Captain S.H. Walker, then serving in the Mexican War.  He thought current revolvers under powered, and is perhaps the first proponent of the dictum that any pistol caliber is fine, as long as it starts with a 4.

The Walker Colt revolver in .454 offered power aplenty, said to be the most powerful handgun until the introduction of the .357 Magnum.  You can own one of these unique pieces of firearms history for the low, low price of $920,000.  Yikes.

2 comments:

perfidy said...

I have always thought that the Walker Colt is one of the most beautiful guns ever made.

Atom Smasher said...

I like my replica. I've not fired it yet, but I've named it. I've never named any of my guns even in jest because I'm not Lissa :), but this one is called "Locomotive Breath", because it weighs as much as a train and will smoke like one too.