Monday, January 31, 2011

Kapow!

Mom and Dad like watching PBS, and one of their favorite shows is Rick Steve's Europe travel show.  It's pretty good, and the Mrs. and I used to watch it (back when we used to watch PBS).

Anyway, we were watching the show on Tuscany, and then it came:


Wild Boar Prosciutto.

The sound that you just heard was my head exploding, as I gazed on the Platonic Ideal of ham.  You can keep that shadow-cast-upon-the-wall ham that you're eating - this is the ham I want.

Want want want.

Seems you can get it here (if you first sell your firstborn to Gypsies), although it's said that the best stuff comes with the hair still on the leg.  And here's a recipe for Wild Boar Prosciutto Salad with Blood Oranges, Parmesan Cheese and Pecans.  Man, oh man.

You're welcome.

5 comments:

bluesun said...

With the switch to digital, our PBS has a channel devoted only to the travel/craft/cooking shows. Since that was what I watched the most on the old PBS, I'm kinda enjoying this new station.

TOTWTYTR said...

Boar hunting is fun! And yes, backstrap from a freshly killed hog is delicious.

You should give hunting a try. I did and it was very enjoyable.

SiGraybeard said...

I don't know how good it would have to be before I'd spend $40/lb on it. But it would have to be really, really good.

BioBob said...

Read this before imbibing please - it's worth your life

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/conditionsitoq/a/ParasitePrimer_2.htm

Tam said...

"Wild Boar Prosciutto."

I read those words and literally started salivating in helpless Pavlovian response.