Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hank Williams Jr. - There's a Tear In My Beer

I have to confess that I wasn't a big Hank, Jr. fan growing up.  We played Country - along with pretty much everything from Brahms to The Beatles - but he didn't really break out until I was in College.  Back then, I didn't listen to Country at all.

And so I missed his break out, and what a break out it was.  Entertainer of the Year for three years in a row in the 1980s, followed by a Grammy the following year.  Two Platinum albums in the same year (1986).

And this was his comeback, after almost dieing in a 400 foot fall off a mountain.  He not only needed plastic surgery to put himself back together, he had to relearn how to sing.

Obviously, Hank, Jr. is the son of Hank, Sr., arguably the greatest Country singer of all time.  Today's song is one of Hank, Sr's.  Hank, Jr. used state-of-the-art 1989 technology to insert his own performance into one of his father's filmed ones.  Not only was it Video of the Year, but it won a Grammy.


This video really touched me - Hank, Jr. was only 4 when his father died.



There's a Tear In My Beer (Songwriter: Hank Williams, Sr.)
There's a tear in my beer
'cause I'm cryin' for you,dear
you are on my lonely mind.
Into these last nine beers
I have shed a million tears.
You are on my lonely mind
I'm gonna keep drinkin'
until I'm petrified.
And then maybe these tears
will leave my eyes.
There's a tear in my beer
cause I'm crying' for you dear
You are on my lonely mind.

Last night I walked the floor
and the night before
You are on my lonely mind.
It seems my life is through
and I'm so doggone blue
You are on my lonely mind.
I'm gonna keep drinkin'
till I can't move a toe
and then maybe my heart
won't hurt me so.
There's a tear in my beer
cause I'm cryin' for you dear
You are on my lonely mind.

Lord, I've tried and I've tried
But my tears I can't hide
You are on my lonely mind.
All these blues that I've found
Have really got me down
You are on my lonely mind
I'm gonna keep drinkin'
till I can't even think
Cause in the last week
I ain't slept a wink
There's a tear in my beer
cause I'm crying for you dear
You are on my lonely mind.
(image source)

Interestingly, Williams has announced that he plans to challenge Tennessee Senator Bob Corker in the 2012 Republican primary.

4 comments:

Midwest Chick said...

That brought a tear to my eye just watching it. Very well done video/tribute. We too listened to country with a mix of classical growing up. The Three Outlaws were big at our place: Willie, Waylon, and David Allen Coe along with Williams Sr. and Jr., Johnny Cash, and all of the 'original' Grand Ol' Opry crowd.

Southern Belle said...

I love Country but love the 80's and before music. Conway, Loretta, Dolly, etc.

I will listen to anything except hip-hop.

Hank Jr. running for Senate? I think that's great, hope he wins.

Sabra said...

Must admit I like all three Hanks. Sometimes Hank III is almost a self-caricature, but he's definitely got the voice.

I know this song was a bit of a joke back when it came out, but if you can ignore that it's one heckuva tune. Classic cryin' country song.

Toaster 802 said...

I was passing through TN once, and I saw a t-shirt on a guy with Hank Jr's face on it. Underneath was written "Bocephus". So I jokingly said to him, "What the hell is a Bocephus?". He looked at me and said "God damn, them is fightin' words."

Dad loved Hank Sr, so I guess I am just carryin' on an old family tradition...