Saturday, November 20, 2010

Eddie Rabbitt - Driving My Life Away

Early next week, we drive south to our new home.  As with any change, you head towards something new, but you head away from what your life has been.  Driving away from your old life.

Eddie Rabbit died far too young, taken by lung cancer.  His career was brief, but burned brightly with twenty #1 hits between 1976 and 1988 - and this span was shortened by a hiatus after the death of his infant son in 1985.

Rabbitt was best known for his crossover sound, which included movie soundtracks (Every Which Way But Loose) and TV themes (Days of Our Lives, All My Children).  He aimed to pattern his music after Elvis - nothing too fancy, but straight up, upbeat songs.  It took this to #1 on the Country Chart and #5 on the Hot 100.



Driving My Life Away (Songwriters:  David Malloy, Eddie Rabbit, Even Stevens)

Steep grade up ahead slow me down making no time
gotta keep rolling
those windshield wipers slapping out a tempo
keeping perfect rhythm with the song on the radio
gotta keep rolling

Ooh I'm driving my life away, looking for a better way, for me
ooh I'm driving my life away, looking for a sunny day

Well the truck stop cutie comin' on to me
tried to talk me into a ride said I wouldn't be sorry
but she was just a baby
well waitress pour me another cup of coffee
pop me down jack me up shoot me out heading down the highway
looking for the morning<
Image source from here.

3 comments:

cybrus said...

Good luck and safe travels! If your way takes you through Pittsburgh, let me know - first beer is on me!

WoFat said...

A BLAST from the past. Have a grand trip.

SiGraybeard said...

Have a safe trip. I have a few friends in the Atlanta area so I can probably get some recommendations of gun shops, ranges, etc..

Atlanta is about a 10 hour drive from here, and I've made it many times. Lots of fun things to do in the area, for someone like me who detests large cities.