Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Gun Pr0n

No, it's not mine, but if you have a few hundred Ben Franklins sitting around, it might be yours. The Roy Rogers Museum shut down at the beginning of this year, and Roy's gun collection is going to be auctioned off in June.

So if you - like me - grew up watching Roy Rogers on the TV, you could get his six shooters and rig. Actually, I can't because I live in Mordor Massachusetts (state motto: "Guns? Eek!!"), but you can. How cool is that?

They have a bunch of his guns and holsters, ranging from plain-jane .41 Single Actions (well, as plain as Roy went) to fancy gold plated Ranch revolvers. Holsters also span the spectrum. And did I mention that they used to be buckled on by Roy Rogers?

Want.

There's Dale's gun and holster, too. Plus Roy's '64 Lincoln rag-top - you know, the one with suicide doors. Double want.


I was alerted to this by the folks setting up the auction, who saw last Saturday's post about him and sent me an email:
Dear Borepatch,

I've just finished reading your excellent post about Roy Rogers from last week. Presumably you are aware of the recent closing of the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans Museum in Branson for economic reasons. The bulk of the museum's contents are being sold at three distinct auctions on behalf of Dusty and the Rogers family. I work for the auction house that is selling Roy's firearms collection (along with some other great material, including his 64 Lincoln). After reading your post and looking around your blog, it seemed to me that you might be interested in knowing more about the firearms collection and the upcoming auction. (I know that not everyone approves of the sale of the Museum's contents, but I also know that if those folks were to spend any time talking with Dusty Rogers, they would feel much better about it.)

In any event, if you have any interest in learning more about the auctions or the collections, I'd be happy to send you press releases, photos, etc. In the meantime, there is info and some photos about the firearms on our website at www.denveroldwest.com. My goal, obviously, is to promote the auction, but I also want very much to keep the Rogers legacy alive and to see that these museum pieces are remembered and treasured and not just scattered to the winds. That's why I'm writing you.
I'm guessing that some of you might be interested. Here are the details:
When: Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 5:00pm
Where: Denver Merchandise Mart, Denver, CO.
Auction Preview: On site, Friday June 25 from 3-6pm and Saturday the 26th from 9am - 4pm.
Catalogs: Available for purchase ($30 U.S.), shipping approx June 1st.
Bidding: Auction bidding is open to the public and is available in person, by phone, internet, and absentee.
Website: www.denveroldwest.com
If you're interested, you'll want to contact Brian Lebel.

Sigh. Want.

4 comments:

Paladin said...

That's some seriously cool stuff... I think they should spiff you a six-shooter for promoting the auction here at the juggernaut that is the Borepatch Blog.

Borepatch: The Internet Leader in auction promotion

It would only be fair.

I've always had a thing for single action guns. Maybe its the fact that I really like revolvers, but can't shoot double action worth a dang?

Borepatch said...

Paladin, not sure that I want to become the leader in Internet auction promotions, but heh.

WoFat said...

They shut down Roy's museum? It's a black day for America. Next thing you know, they'll be going after Tom Mix.

Ron said...

Thank for the info. I have put the auction on my calendar. June would be a nice time to drive home a Lincoln convertible with a new handgun or two in the back.