Saturday, October 1, 2011

Trace Adkins - Just Fishin'

(Image source)
#1 Son beat me bowling last night.

When we lived in Georgia ten years ago - when the kids were small - we loved bowling.  One of my fondest memories as a Dad is a dozen six-year-olds doing the Y-M-C-A song at a Cosmic Bowl birthday party.


#1 Son is between quarters in College, and has been visiting me here in Austin at Forward Operating Base Borepatch.  It's been awesome.  It's more than just having someone here for company; we've done the things as father and son that I had almost given up hope of ever doing, in a strange time not so very long ago.  Drinking beer together.  Getting snow cones, for old time's sake.  Cooking dinner together.

These moments mean a lot to me, partly made sweeter from those lost moments in the past, partly bitter sweet from the realization that he's a man now, and there won't be as many of these.  These moments are fleeting.  Seize the day.

Trace Adkins has a song that captures the emotions of this moment.  #1 Son is grown to manhood, and I think feels this in his gut.  Those of you with smaller children are blessed with the ability to watch them while they're still outside of that flow of time.  When they still see you as Mom or Dad, not as that person who is not always who you'd like to be.

When they think they're just fishing.  Or doing the Y-M-C-A song.  Or maybe, beating you at bowling for the first time.



Just Fishin' (Songwriters: Casey Beathard, Monty Criswell, Ed Hill)
I’m lost in her there holdin’ that pink rod and reel
She’s doin’ almost everything but sittin’ still
Talkin’ ‘bout her ballet shoes and training wheels
And her kittens
And she thinks we’re just fishin’

I say, “Daddy loves you, baby” one more time
She says, “I know. I think I got a bite.”
And all this laughin’, cryin, smilin’ dyin’ here inside’s
What I call, livin’

And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the riverside
Throwin’ back what we could fry
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
Nothin’ too ambitious
She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin’

She’s already pretty, like her mama is
Gonna drive the boys all crazy
Give her daddy fits
And I better do this every chance I get
‘Cause time is tickin’
(Yeah it is)

And she thinks we’re just fishin’ on the riverside
Throwin’ back what we could fry
Drownin’ worms and killin’ time
Nothin’ too ambitious
She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin’

She ain’t even thinkin’ ‘bout
What’s really goin’ on right now
But I guarantee this memory’s a big’in
And she thinks we’re just fishin’
Yeah, aww, she thinks we’re just fishin’
We ain’t only fishin’
(This ain’t about fishin’)
The young lady in the video is Adkins' youngest daughter, Trinity.

3 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Thanks for that, BP. I know exactly what you mean though. All those times that I was just fishing (literally) or just working on the car, shooting or hunting with my dad turned in to cherished memories.

greg said...

Nope, not playing along on this one. As a dad who has taken two little girls fishing before,all it took was one time hearing this song on the radio. Now if I hear the beginning, I instantly change the station. Don't need to show up at my destination with tears in my eyes.

Bring back Miranda!

Mark said...

The other day my oldest son, who is a freshman at UND (North Dakota, not that other 'ND') asked me if I remembered taking him, and a couple of his friends to Pizza Hut for lunch one day. He remembered it like it was yesterday. I lied to him. I told him I did, and I feel terrible about it.

Folks, it's not what we recall, it's what our kids do. Take your kids fishing, or to Pizza Hut, or whatever. It's important to them.