Saturday, October 8, 2011

The glamor of air travel

These just crack me up.  First, a commercial which features an (entirely SFW) Mile High Club:




This is for an actual airline, albeit a charter company.  The advert won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2006, which may say more for Cannes than we'd all like to know.  But still, outstanding, simply outstanding.

And for my Lady Readers, here's a (I think real) Air New Zealand advert, "Nothing to hide":



You're welcome, although there's really no need to thank me.  Full service blog, and all that.

But before we forget, there's a serious side of flying:



Yikes.  Reminds me of a particularly nasty landing in Zurich in very gusty cross winds.  The Swiss Air pilot brought it in like the working of a fine Swiss watch.

All things considered.

5 comments:

Mayberry said...

My LAST airplane ride was a MAC flight into Norfolk. It resembled several of those sideways approaches. We bounced twice and blew out 8 tires on landing. No thanks, I'll drive...

JD said...

I have to thank you for posting that last one. . . I have to fly to Buffalo next week. . . no problems sleeping really. . . .

An Ordinary American said...

We're fortunate in that we own a small aircraft (Cessna) and do not have to deal with TSA, screaming kids, fat/sweaty/obnoxious/terrorist passengers, middle-seats, lost luggage, unexplained delays, outrageous ticket prices, screaming kids (oh, have I already mentioned that one?) and ridiculous prices for a can of soda or snack.

For almost two decades, pre-9/11, both my wife and I were at the mercy of the airlines.

I remember a time, even before that, when commercial air travel wasn't so bad and was often even fun.

No more.

--AOA

Six said...

I don't like to fly but after seeing the mile high club I'm suddenly possessed by an uncontrollable urge to jet off to a distant locale. Very distant.

Eagle said...

Reminds me of a landing attempt on a late-night last-in flight to Manchester NH. After a quiet flight and a nice relaxed approach, we ALL OF A SUDDEN LURCHED D*MN CLOSE TO VERTICAL IN A BIG D*MN HURRY WITH ENGINES ROARING REALLY D*MN LOUD.

Turns out that a private airplane (general aviation) decided to land ahead of our 737, and - ignoring the traffic around him - cut us off to use the runway. Our pilot lit everything he had to avoid a midair collision.

We found out what happened after we landed... and it was the lead on the WMUR-TV morning report the next day. The general aviation pilot was given a "warning".

I'd have given him more than that... MUCH more...

If you can walk away from it - it was a good landing.

Or, as a pilot friend of mine says: "Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory."