Saturday, October 22, 2011

I simulate an infantryman

Ft. Benning is the location of Army infantry basic training, and also hosts the National Infantry Museum.  The intersection of these means that the museum has some seriously cool simulators:


The EST 2000 is an M4/16 electronic simulator used by recruits before they go to the live fire range.  It provides a very realistic rifle, with removable magazine, charging handles, select fire (Safe/Semi/"Get you some of that") with a projected display of a firing range.  Targets appear, and some of them move.  Laser designators score hits and misses.  You have to score 10 out of 20 to qualify as an infantryman.

Well, I qualified.  Barely.  #2 Son (of course) handily beat be.  He's almost 16 - they wanted his phone number for the recruiter.

I'd talk about how my mistake was bracing the M4 on a sand bag, and that what I gained in stability I lost in target acquisition time.  But I can already hear you giggling, so I'll just move along ...

There are even cooler simulators:


Assemble your team for a HMMWV mission.  Yeah, baby!  Sadly, one of the compressors went out, and we'll have to go back.  But think about that for a minute - you use a compressor to make something move via air pressure.  Something like a HMMVW.  Feedback!

The rest of the museum is nothing short of spectacular.  The exhibits are a great mix of artifacts (Saddam's double barrel Buffalo rifle!), interactive touch screen displays, videos, and immerse experiences - the Vietnam night patrol is a little hair raising.

The best part: it's free.  Donations are encouraged.  (You pay for the simulators)

It's 2 hours from Atlanta.  We'll be back, maybe with #1 Son.  There's a Blackhawk simulation mission I hear calling.

Plus, there are mil-surp stores everywhere.  I came back with one of these:






"Anything worth shooting is worth shooting a second time."  "Active ingredient: lead.  Typical side effects: death."

It was a good day.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

I want the shirt...

Paul, Dammit! said...

We wants it...

Six said...

Cool BP. Glad you guys had a good time.

Jay G said...

Looks like I have *yet another* reason to come visit... ;)

Borepatch said...

You have a place to stay, Jay. ;-)