Saturday, October 8, 2011

Asleep At The Wheel - Amarillo By Morning

(Image source)
This is one of the biggest bands in Country Music, and a lot of folks have never heard them.  That's a surprise, because they've been playing since 1969, and recording since 1973.

CMT lists this song as #12 on the top country songs of all time.  They won two Grammys.  They moved to Austin because Willie Nelson asked them to.

How big were they?  They were scheduled to play the White House on September 11, 2001.  It took Osama bin Laden to get their gig canceled.

And while some of the roads the band has traveled haven't been paved, they've recorded with Willie, and Merle, and Dylan and George Strait.  Not to mention Lyle Lovett, Tim McGraw, Vince Gill, and the Dixie Chicks.

Honest music, honestly performed.  Can't ask for much more than that.



Amarillo By Morning (Songwriters: Terry Stafford, Paul Fraser)
Amarillo By Mornin'
Up from San Antone
Everything that I got
Is just what I've got on.
When that sun is high in that Texas sky,
I'll be buckin' at the county fair.
Amarillo By Mornin'
Amarillo I'll be there.

They took my saddle in Houston,
Broke my leg in Santa Fe.
Lost my wife and a girlfriend,
Somewhere along the way.
I'll be lookin' for eight
When they pull that gate
And I hope that judge ain't blind.
Amarillo By Mornin'
Amarillo's on my mind.

Amarillo By Mornin'
Up from San Antone
Everything that I got
Is just what I've got on.
I ain't got a dime,
But what I got is mine.
I ain't rich, but Lord I'm free.

Amarillo By Mornin'
Amarillo's Where I'll Be.
Amarillo By Mornin'
Amarillo's Where I'll Be.

3 comments:

BenC said...

I have heard of the band but I remember the song being by George Strait.

kx59 said...

George Straight was a singer, not a song writer. Cover artist that looked good in tight jeans and a panama hat as it were.
I happened to catch Asleep at the Wheel live at Fitzgerald's in Houston by shear luck, circa 1984. Very entertaining band.

libertyman said...

Ray Benson has a fabulous voice, and I have been a fan for years. They often play relatively small venues, and if you have a chance -- see them!