Saturday, September 22, 2012

Zac Brown Band - Sic 'Em On A Chicken

Bluegrass is fundamentally a happy music, done for the fun of it and offering a chance for the musicians to show off by taking solos each in turn.  Well, that's the theory.  Zac Brown Band is an Atlanta band that can be described as neo-bluegrass.  It's high energy, fun music.

They've had a bunch of hits over the last 2 or 3 years (and even picked up a Grammy along the way), but this song (and video) capture the flavor of their not your usual focus grouped and over produced Nashville Country band offering.  They have more serious songs which are worth your time, but the funny is a big part of the attraction for me.  This is offered as a tip of the hat to Mike the Headless Chicken.



Sic 'Em On A Chicken (Songwriters: Zac Brown, John Driskell Hopkins)
Sic 'em on a chicken.
Sic 'em on a chicken.
Sic 'em on a chicken.
Bring out the butter and the flour we're ready to fry.

My dog Pete is the smallest dog of all the dogs in my yard
He's a mean ol' fella
Drinks Beam and water from a broken mason jar

Sic 'em on a chicken.
Sic 'em on a chicken.
Sic 'em on a chicken and watch them feathers fly

Sic 'em on a chicken.
Sic 'em on a chicken.
Sic 'em on a chicken.
Bring out the butter and the flour we're ready to fry.

I heard this awful noise coming from the woods
I heard chicken screams
Know it ain't gonna be good

Well I think we lost the chicken
I Think we lost the chicken
I Think we lost the chicken because I just heard him cry

I Think we lost the chicken
I Think we lost the chicken
I Think we lost the chicken but you can get another one for a dollar 79

1 comment:

jbrock said...

Neo-bluegrass sounds about right. Paleo-bluegrassers would wanna lynch the singer/guitarist for using anything but a Martin dreadnaught. ;)

Flat-picking nylon strings is rare; the only well-known American player I can think of who does it is Willie Nelson, and this guy has a completely different style from Willie. That makes for a distinctive sound.

I'll have to check this band out. Thanks!