Friday, September 7, 2012

Full frontal mockery

It used to be that the Republican Party was the party for squares.  All of the Cool Kids hung out over with the Democrats, who would mock the stodgy, clueless GOP types unmercifully.

I missed exactly when that changed, but change it did.  Now it's the GOP that's gleefully trolling the Democrats.

Hot Air at the DNC: ban corporate profits, it feels good to belong to the Government.  I actually had a little bit of that here, myself:

The Daily Show: Democrats are the party of tolerance, except for those they don't like.

I could go on, but you get the point.  And so back to my question: when did the Democrats become the boring, stuffy, not-too-bright party of the easily trolled?


Remember, this is the party that fetishizes smart.  That couldn't get enough of yucking it up about a village in Texas missing its idiot, and I can see Russia from my house.  All of the people in all of these videos no doubt are absolutely convinced that they're smarter than you and I.

For the life of me, I don't get it.  But the GOP is putting this online with a joy that used to be 100% reserved for Democrats.  You can cut the mockery with a knife, it's so thick.  And the punchline?

The Democrats don't have the slightest clue that this has happened.

I can see a GOP landslide from my house.  Not sure that it would be a good thing but they can't be any dumber and more self assured of their moral worthiness than the Democrats are.  The Dinosaurs sniff a change on the breeze, and think the meteor smell is the smell of victory.

7 comments:

Broken Andy said...

The Dems certainly aren't the cool kids anymore, but the GOP can't claim that status either.

Alan said...

Dunning-Kruger.

"is a cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than average. This bias is attributed to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their mistakes"

Broken Andy said...

From wikipedia:

As Kruger and Dunning conclude, "the miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others"


Thanks Alan. Very, very, very interesting.

My only regret about being a student here at The Borepatch College of Liberal Arts is that I should have enrolled sooner. :)

The Czar of Muscovy said...

There's a not-very-new but growing suspicion that the bizarre tie in poll numbers (which cannot be explained given popularity ratings) may stem from millions of people claiming to plan a vote for Obama, but secretly intending to pull the lever for Romney.

When one model took that into account (that pro-Obama voters are lying to pollsters in order to prevent backlash), most poll numbers begin to line up according to the numerous non-poll forecasts that show Romney decisively winning.

True? Not yet--but quite possible. We'll know in two months.

Borepatch said...

Czar, this is what I've been saying for a few months, and what underlies my predictions (such as they are).

Six said...

I'm also of the opinion that the election won't be close. In fact I made a potentially humiliating bet on it. Good or bad, like Mitt or detest him, get used to saying
President Mitt Romney.

Alan said...

Obama's already picked out a mansion in Hawaii. Even he has given up.