Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Well, that will make it safer to fly

Oh good grief:
In a massive security breach, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) inadvertently posted online its airport screening procedures manual, including some of the most closely guarded secrets regarding special rules for diplomats and CIA and law enforcement officers.
But don't worry, the Department of Health and Human Services would never accidentally post your health records online, once they're running health care.

Hat tip: Don Surber.

5 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

But BP, it's an obsolete version of the manual, that was never put into service anyway. Nothing to see here, move along.

Kind of stupid to not actually delete the sensitive information, but just figuratively put a piece of paper over it.

I'm sure it wasn't that hard for someone with a bit of knowledge of computer security to figure this one out.

Duh.

Anonymous said...

Oh I SO wish I could comment about TSA.

Though glad they got the badges so you can differentiate them from the food court employees.

You know who. :-)

AnarchAngel said...

I'd been meaning to post this all day. I started writing it this morning, but your post prompted me to finish it up:

http://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2009/12/why-we-call-it-security-theater.html

Anonymous said...

I had this exchange recently with a screener:

"Are those steel-toed shoes?"

"Yes."

"Then you probably should have taken them off before."

What I thought and what I said diverged pretty sharply at that point.

Jim

Anonymous said...

According to a story I read on the BBC's web site, Assistant Homeland Security secretary David Heyman said in a Senate hearing that the TSA will stop posting documents containing sensitive security information on the internet until the investigation has been completed.

I can only assume this means they will resume posting sensitive information on the Internet after the investigation is completed.