Monday, July 2, 2012

Proper prior planning prevents emergency room visits

Tacitus is (when he's not excavating Hadrian's Wall) an ER doctor.  As you'd imagine, that gives him a story or two.  Like this:
Periodically in the ER I encounter what I call "Wile E. Coyote" injuries.  They take various forms but the basic definition is a man, and its always a man, tries something that seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  But really is not.

For instance.  I saw a good sized fellow who needed to get something out of the rafters of a pole barn.  That's a ways up, so a ladder was needed.  Ok, up the ladder he goes.  But the object is still just a little out of reach.
I'd laugh, but remember all too well my own doctor visits which were immediately preceded by the words "Hey Mom!  Look - no hands!"

5 comments:

lelnet said...

Most common last words in some counties? "Hey guys! Watch this!"

:)

MaddMedic said...

While in Minnesota it is..
"Hold my beer, I wanna try something"

Old NFO said...

Madd nailed it, and we've ALL been there... sigh

RabidAlien said...

Heh....the military version of that starts with a sip of adult beverage, followed by "hey, jerknugget, I no-balls you to _____"

Goober said...

I can't figure out how to post pics, so you'll just have to use your imagination when I tell this story. Rest assured, i have pics, and you're probably better off not seeing them.

So I've B&C'd on this forum before about my health problems. Arthritis, psoriasis, auto-immune issues galore. DUring the period of time that I was more or less bedridden with ankylosing spondylitis (debilitating lower back pain caused by psoriatic arthritis), I had a tree die next to my house and start to drop rather large branches on it every time a 10 mph wind picked up (which is all the time here).

I had the bright idea that I would go cut it down, despite the fact that I could barely walk. yeah, pretty much Wile E. stuff...

anyway, had my stihl 066 out because my smaller saw wouldn't start. This was my first mistake. it weighs 20 pounds, more than any other chainsaw available on the market. It has nearly 20 horsepower of wood (and flesh) pulping awesomeness. It is the largest commercially sold saw out there (stihl makes a bigger saw, but i don't think you can buy it unless you are a professional logger on a wholesale account). SO i undercut the tree, groaning in pain the whole time, and more or less sweating bullets. I'd popped a couple of hydros to keep the pain down before hand. yeah, I know, smart, right?

As I was back-cutting the tree, and it was preparing to fall, I usually am ready to set the saw down and run. Bending over to set the saw down this time was out of the question, so i held on to it and tried to back away. The tree barber chaired on me and tapped the tip of the still running saw chain into the ground, where it caught traction and jumped up to my left leg and hollowed out a pretty good chunk of my shin just below the knee. It was nasty.

So yeah, Wile E. Coyote got nothing on me...