Saturday, June 2, 2012

Good news, and bad news, and good news

OK, I didn't need to drill through the brick wall, which is good news.  I'm not sure that I'd need a hammerdrill, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't, and I know for a fact that I don't have a proper masonry bit.  So I'm $20 ahead on the day.

I'm setting up the old stereo from Chez Borepatch which has been languishing in a closet ever since we moved down here.  Rather than drill the walls, I'm just setting it up in the living room.  Like Mr. Emerson said, simplify. 

The bad news is that while I found all the pieces, there are a lot of them and I need to use them all to make up for the speakers I like a dummy left in the walls in Massachusetts.  What I can't find is the owner's manual, so there's been an afternoon of trial and error.  Oh, bother.

The good news is that the living room is next to the screened porch, and so I can run speaker wire out there and have music there as well.  This setup means that the boys can't use the stereo as an uber cool sound system for X-Box, but then again I don't have to drill holes.  Some day, maybe.

Man, I find that I don't have the same level of patience for this sort of fiddling around that I used to.

7 comments:

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

I put our old stereo system in the barn... Sometimes you'll even find an old cassette tape or vinyl disc thing plain' out there...

Good to hear you on SQRPT last night...

Dann in Ohio

Six said...

Dude, I feel your pain. I've gotten to the point where it has to be really, really needed before I'll do it.

Rev. Paul said...

Yeah, I'm there, too. I'll try something a couple of times, but if it's not workin' out, I'm on to something else pretty quickly.

libertyman said...

I believe it was Mr Thoreau who said Simplify simplify. Why he said it twice, is beyond me.

RabidAlien said...

When looking for manuals, always remember....Mr. Google is your friend. You'd be surprised what's online, and free, from the manufacturers.

Anonymous said...

When I turned my garage into a shop I wired everything, electrical, stereo, tv.
All of the wires are stab type plug ins. I hard wire the speakers to a piggy tail that have a bayonet type plug-in at the end. Then I just plug those bayonet plugs into the hard wired boxes in the walls.
I'm no electrician but shazam; it really works.

Steve

kx59 said...

Hey, if you didn't have to make three trips to the hardware store today, you are ahead of the game.