Saturday, November 22, 2008

Taylor Swift - Love Story

The question for the week has been What is it with Princesses and Cowgirls? Country music is favored with a set of outstanding young ladies who not only perform, but write their own music.

Taylor Swift is one. At 18, she's the youngest of the ladies featured here in Saturday Redneck. She also has the most crossover appeal - her song Teardrops on My Guitar got quite a lot of airplay on non-Country radio. Her new album Fearless has only been out for 11 days, and has sold 800,000 copies. Not everyone likes Crossover Country, but the record execs must.

As with all interesting writers, she writes about what she knows. Love Story is a school girl's view of relationships, viewed through the lens of Romeo and Juliet. In some respects, this is her answer to the question What is it with girls and princesses? We shall watch Miss Swift's career with great interest. We hope for a similar level of insight as she gets older and expands her life's experiences.



We were both young when I first saw you.
I close my eyes and the flashback starts:
I'm standing there on a balcony in summer air.

See the lights, see the party, the ball gowns.
See you make your way through the crowd
and say hello;

Little did I know
That you were Romeo; you were throwing pebbles,
And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet."
And I was crying on the staircase,
begging you, 'Please, don't go.'"

And I said,
"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'"

So I sneak out to the garden to see you.
We keep quiet 'cause we're dead if they knew.
So close your eyes; escape this town for a little while.
'Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter,
And my daddy said "Stay away from Juliet,"
But you were everything to me; I was begging you, 'Please, don't go,'"

And I said,
"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess
It's a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'

Romeo save me - they're tryin' to tell me how to feel;
This love is difficult, but it's so real.
Don't be afraid; we'll make it out of this mess.
It's a love story - baby just say "Yes.'"

Oh.

I got tired of waiting,
Wondering if you were ever comin' around.
My faith in you was fading
When I met you on the outskirts of town,

And I said,
"Romeo save me - I've been feeling so alone.
I keep waiting for you but you never come.
Is this in my head? I don't know what to think-"

He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said,
"Marry me, Juliet - you'll never have to be alone.
I love you and that's all I really know.
I talked to your dad - go pick out a white dress;
It's a love story - baby just say 'Yes.'"

Oh, oh.

We were both young when I first saw you...

No comments: