As it turns out, the nice folks at the range had two in stock. The one I got this time had a peep sight. As it turns out, the trigger had much less take up than the first one. So did it make a difference?
You could say that. Boy, howdy. 25 yards. offhand, iron (peep) sights. 50 rounds.
Now, the interesting thing here is not the grouping: 25 yards really isn't very far, so there's not much to brag about here (it's an indoor range). What's interesting is that my impressions from the first time were pretty far off the mark. I was quite frankly pretty flummoxed the first time around. Going back to the well - especially with modifications that addressed the biggest objections - was instructive.
So here's my thinking about the Beretta Storm:
- It's handy: short, pretty light, points well. All the carbine virtues are well represented.
- Since it's chambered in 9mm pistol round, it's not spendy to shoot. I'm not sure that this would be the ideal home defense gun, but you'd want +P hollow point rounds. As for a carry gun, fuggedaboutit.
- If you get one, you'll want to think pretty hard about replacing the basic iron sights. You may also want a trigger job.
- #2 Son really likes shooting this.
- Beretta, I'm sorry I said those bad things about your product. I take it all back.
Oh, and the standard disclaimer:
I'm not any kind of gun or shooting expert. I like shooting, and shoot a fair number of different guns, but I'm really a dilettante. Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited.UPDATE 27 November 2008 05:30: Via a comment by Mr. Bruce, a typo of herculean proportions.
I don't do scientific, repeatable tests. There's no checklist, although that's not a bad idea. I write about what I like and don't like, but it's pretty much stream of consciousness. Opinion, we got opinion here. Step right up.
I'm not a shooting teacher, although I do like to introduce people to shooting. Maybe some day I'll take the NRA teaching class, but until then, you get a dilettante's view. You'll get opinion here, but if you get serious about shooting, you'll want to get someone who knows what he's doing to give you some pointers. It can help.
And oh yeah, shooting things is fun.
"Maybe some day I'll take the NSA teaching class..."Heh.
If that's not a typo, you are The Man!
Fixed now. Thanks!