Sunday, November 30, 2008

Shooting with JayG and #1 Son

Yesterday, JayG invited me to the range, and we took #1 son along.

Just let me say that nothing beats shooting with one of your kids. Matter of fact, there's not a lot that beats shooting with Jay.
Now, my opinion is that #1 Son perhaps plays too much Zombiepocalypse games with his friends. But it's an ill wind that blows no good - in this case, he had a serious itch for pump-action shooty goodness. Jay's (I think it was a) Remington Model 12 .22 pump was just the ticket.

So much so, in fact, that I didn't get a chance to shoot it much. It's insanely accurate, and the short throw means that if you were willing to burn $25 in practice .22 ammo, you could get a pretty decent rapid fire rate.

I spent a fair amount of time with Jay's sweet. sweet Colt 1911. It's also insanely accurate. (cue Wayne's World)
Someday, she will be mine. Oh, yes.
There's simply nothing about this pistol that I don't like. I did catch myself flinching, but extra concentration on surprise trigger break produced acceptable results. 8 yards, 16 rounds (plus a couple of shots of .22 by #1 Son):


While we were there, a car pulled up right next to the range. Since the parking lot was across the street, this seemed unusual. It was a guy bringing his disabled dad to the range. Even in a wheelchair, he did quite credibly, especially with Jay's Colt .22 Police training model. We had quite a nice chat with them, which I find pretty typical of range conversation. After all, we had a lot in common:
  • We were all trying to improve our skill.
  • We all enjoy the art and skill that goes into making a great gun.
  • We all enjoy spending time with our father/son.
Thanks, Jay - this was an outstanding afternoon.

1 comment:

Jay G said...

You are more than welcome, Ted, it was my pleasure indeed.

BTW, it's a Remington 572 Fieldmaster. Just in the interest of accuracy.

*g*