Monday, February 17, 2014

Thoughts on President's Day

Today the USA celebrates the birthdays of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.  I'm torn - I list the greatest and worst Presidents in this post, naming Washington as the greatest and Lincoln as the worst.  It seems that I'm not unique in this: in Alabama the holiday celebrates the birthdays of Washington and Thomas Jefferson (which is odd since Jefferson was born in April; BTW, Jefferson made it into my top 5 list).  Also, Arkansas celebrates Washington's birthday and Daisy Bates who is certainly an upgrade from Mr. Lincoln.

I actually think that Lincoln can be correctly described as the first fascist American President.  Furherprinzip embodying the Public Will, and all that.  That's actually how it's taught, even.



But it's a day off, so enjoy it if you're in the States.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a day off? Awesome! I wonder why my boss didn't tell me last week...

Rev. Paul said...

Not a day off for me, but that's not important.

I used to think Lincoln had done something wonderful during his tenure, but then I got out of public school & started learning for myself. Now I agree with you.

Chickenmom said...

Agree, Rev. Paul. Only when you dig deeply into this man's life do you really learn what kind of a politician he truly was. And I'm a Yankee and not supposed to know that.

Anonymous said...

He also used to sleep with officers in the union army,I bet the White House was really well decorated.

Comrade Misfit said...

Up North, Lincoln's revered as one of the greats. Because he saved the Union, ended slavery and crushed the Southern Rebellion.

Patrick Henry, the 2nd said...

My number 1 is William Henry Harrison. He was in office for only 32 days and didn't do anything. Best president ever.

Veeshir said...

Late as ever, but I'm torn on Adams.

The Alien and Sedition Act was a travesty but he did one thing that had, so far as I know, never been done ever before, he stepped down when he lost an election.

Washington stepped down, Adams lost the election and went home.

That might not seem like a big deal today, but it was very big at the time.

He set our system in stone.

Borepatch said...

Veeshir, given his unpopularity at the time it doesn't seem that he had much of an alternative.

I'm afraid that I'm not much of a fan of Mr. Adams.