Wednesday, February 12, 2014

If you found out today that you were dieing ...

Via Covertress (who you do read every day, right?) comes this mind blowing video.



Gratitude is a powerful thing, not just to the one who receives it but to the one who gives it.  The exercise was simple: pick a person who played a key part in your life.  Write about what they did for you that changed your life.

Then call them and read them what you wrote.

This is deep wisdom, distilled humanity.  I did this myself, writing Dad's eulogy.  I'm glad that I read it to him before he died.  That was a hard day, but it was a glorious day.  And I don't have the regret of not having read it to him before he went.  In that eulogy, I included this:
One of my two favorite sayings goes The longest journey a man will ever take is the eighteen inches from his head to his heart.  I can attest to the truth of that, and say that St. Christopher doesn't watch over that particular journey.  But my Dad did.

The other of my favorite sayings also relates to that journey.  If you found out you were going to die soon, and could only make one phone call, who would you call, and what would you say?

And why are you waiting?
That's what Covertress' post is about.  Why are you waiting?  Well?  Gratitude is a powerful thing, not just to those who receive it.  Get on out of here - you have someone to call, I expect.

2 comments:

Midwest Chick said...

Did it a few years ago. High school english teacher. Changed my worldview and taught me skills that pushed me forward in life. It was good to connect with her.

Unknown said...

Some one once said that if your gratitude exceeds your expectations you will be a happier and humbler person.

Nothin' wrong with that.