Saturday, May 31, 2014

Pwn the police

Because they're arrogant and think that nobody could ever, ever in a million years break into the software that they use to break into you.

Oops.

Can we all agree that giving more power to the Government is just making a more attractive target for hackers?  From ESR's hacking koan:
A stranger from the land of Woot came to Master Foo as he was eating the morning meal with his students.

I hear y00 are very l33t, he said. Pl33z teach m3 all y00 know.
Master Foo's students looked at each other, confused by the stranger's barbarous language. Master Foo just smiled and replied: You wish to learn the Way of Unix?
I want to b3 a wizard hax0r, the stranger replied, and 0wn ever3one's b0xen.
I do not teach that Way, replied Master Foo.

The stranger grew agitated. D00d, y00 r nothing but a p0ser, he said. If y00 n00 anything, y00 wud t33ch m3.
There is a path, said Master Foo, that might bring you to wisdom. The master scribbled an IP address on a piece of paper. Cracking this box should pose you little difficulty, as its guardians are incompetent. Return and tell me what you find.
Their guardians are incompetent.  So let's give them more power, and military SWAT gear, and armored vehicles.  What could possibly go wrong?

P.S. If you don't know the answer to that last question, then d00d, y00 r nothing but a p0ser.

6 comments:

Sean D Sorrentino said...

What's the link? It just says "Oops."

Borepatch said...

Fixed. Thanks, Sean

Sean D Sorrentino said...

Ok, I've read it and I still don't understand it. I totally understand why the technical jargon mystifies me. I'm not a computer guy. But what irritates me is that the marketing jargon that attempts to hint at the marvelous possibilities offered by the program (no doubt written by the Marketing Department of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation)don't actually tell me a single thing about what the program actually does.

So for the people both ignorant of the technical issues and unable to translate l33t Marketing Speak, could you explain?

OMMAG said...

Very droll ... I like it.

Arthur said...

I'm assuming the IP is 127.0.0.1

Arthur said...

Heh, or not. I guess I should have followed the link first, though I like my answer better. :P