Saturday, May 24, 2014

Lee Brice - I Drive Your Truck

Sgt First Class Jared Monti, 1975-2006
Memorial Day is when we stop to remember those who gave that full measure of devotion for this Republic and for their brothers in arms under fire. It has sadly turned from a solemn day of remembrance into a day for grilling and family celebrations, but even at its best it was just a single day.

Jared Monti's father doesn't need a day to remember his son.  He has every day for that.

Monti was awarded the Medal of Honor for his three attempts to retrieve a wounded comrade under intense fire in Afghanistan.  Twice machine gun fire drove him back, but he was unwilling to leave his fellow soldier.  An RPG got him on the third attempt.

That hole in our hearts where our loved ones used to be became all too real for Monti's father.  How do you keep a little part of the loved and lost with you?  How do you keep from forgetting, little by little, day by day, year by year?  Paul Monti did it by keeping his son's truck, and driving it, as a daily reminder.  His simple answer describing this, given on a radio interview, led to this song.



Memorial Day is not about the beginning of summer, or cookouts, or sales.  It's about keeping hold of a memory.  Don't let go of that.  Paul Monti doesn't.  Christian Golczynski doesn't, either.

I Drive Your Truck (Songwriters: Connie Harrington, Jessi Alexander, Jimmy Yeary)
Eighty-Nine Cents in the ash tray
Half empty bottle of Gatorade rolling in the floorboard
That dirty Braves cap on the dash
Dog tags hangin’ from the rear view
Old Skoal can, and cowboy boots and a Go Army Shirt
folded in the back
This thing burns gas like crazy, but that’s alright
People got their ways of coping
Oh, and I’ve got mine

I drive your truck
I roll every window down
And I burn up
Every back road in this town
I find a field, I tear it up
Til all the pain’s a cloud of dust
Yeah, sometimes I drive your truck

I leave that radio playing
That same ole country station where ya left it
Yeah, man I crank it up
And you’d probably punch my arm right now
If you saw this tear rollin’ down my on face
Hey, man I’m tryin’ to be tough
And momma asked me this morning
If I’d been by your grave
But that flag and stone ain’t where I feel you anyway

I drive your truck
I roll every window down
And I burn up
Every back road in this town
I find a field, I tear it up
Til all the pain’s a cloud of dust
Yeah, sometimes I drive your truck

I’ve cussed, I’ve prayed, I’ve said goodbye
Shook my fist and asked God why
These days when I’m missing you this much

I drive your truck
I roll every window down
And I burn up
Every back road in this town
I find a field, I tear it up
Til all the pain’s a cloud of dust
Yeah, sometimes, brother sometimes

I drive your truck
I drive your truck
I hope you don’t mind, I hope you don’t mind
I drive your truck
 Sgt First Class Jared Monti's Medal Of Honor citation reads:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty.
Sergeant First Class Monti distinguished himself at the cost of his life while serving as a team leader with the Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 3d Squadron, 71st Cavalry Regiment in Nuristan Province, Afghanistan on 21 June 2006. On that day, Sergeant First Class Monti was leading a mission to gather intelligence and to direct fires against the enemy in support of a squadron-size interdiction mission. While at an observation position on top of a mountain ridge, Sergeant First Class Monti’s sixteen-man patrol came under attack by a superior force consisting of as many as 50 enemy fighters. On the verge of being overrun, Sergeant First Class Monti directed his patrol to set up a hasty defensive position behind a collection of rocks. He then began to call for indirect fire from a nearby support base; accurately bringing the rounds upon the enemy who had closed to within 50 meters of his position. While still calling for fire, Sergeant First Class Monti personally engaged the enemy with his rifle and a grenade, successfully disrupting an attempt to flank the patrol. Sergeant First Class Monti then realized that one of his Soldiers was lying wounded and exposed in the open ground between the advancing enemy and the patrol’s position. With complete disregard for his own safety, Sergeant First Class Monti moved from behind the cover of the rocks into the face of withering enemy fire. After closing within meters of his wounded Soldier, the heavy volume of fire forced Sergeant First Class Monti to seek cover. Sergeant First Class Monti then gathered himself and rose again to maneuver through a barrage of enemy fire to save his wounded Soldier. Again, Sergeant First Class Monti was driven back by relentless enemy fire. Unwilling to leave his Soldier wounded and exposed, Sergeant First Class Monti made another attempt to move across open terrain and through the enemy fire to the aide of his wounded Soldier. On his third attempt, Sergeant First Class Monti was mortally wounded, sacrificing his own life in an effort to save his Soldier. Sergeant First Class Monti’s acts of heroism inspired the patrol to fight off the larger enemy force. Sergeant First Class Monti’s immeasurable courage and uncommon valor were in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, 3d Squadron 71st Cavalry Regiment, the 3d Brigade Combat Team, the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), and the United States Army

2 comments:

Richard said...

Perhaps if we restored Memorial Day to May 30 instead of the nearest Monday, it would be easier to remember what it is for. November 11 was successfully defended.

ASM826 said...

I'd heard that song and wondered about the story behind it. Thanks.

Semper mementote.