Friday, August 2, 2013

Pedantic blogger is pedantic

This is the kind of thing that bugs me.  Yeah, I know that nothing in Vegas is supposed to be accurate, but this is the kind of thing that makes me feel like the Princess and the Pea.  Spot the misuse of Egyptian mythical symbols.


Horus was one of the key parts of the Egyptian mythos.  While the scarab beetle was also seen in their art, it was minor compared to Horus and would never have covered up the hawk.  Also, the cobras are not a common motif in ancient Egyptian art; snakes are associated with the Moon god (as in Aztec symbology) so mythically speaking they wouldn't be out of place here with the Horus Sun association, but the Egyptians didn't use the snake for Mood god representations.  They used the Bull, which was closely associated with Pharaoh.

This ends today's lesson in pedantry.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look at that thing and my brain just says "Egyptian-y kitsch." I couldn't even see the scarab and cobras til I read your description.

Chris said...

I can't enjoy most movies for much the same reason. Science, history, natural law, etc., is so often ignored, much less portrayed inaccurately, that I start grinding my teeth.

juvat said...

AHHH, it's your blog, you can be a pedantic as you wish.
However, still waiting on your report on Gen Clapper's speech (not that he would be pedantic, pusillanimous, prevaricating or downright deceitful ).

Anonymous said...

That's not a scarab covering a hawk. That's a scarab with wings.
AKA Khepri, god of the rising sun, and he's apparently supporting the Boat of Ra.

The misfit comes from the presence of the Eye of Horus and the cobras on the Boat.