Saturday, July 6, 2013

Merle Haggard - Motorcycle Cowboy

Got my Motorcycle permit, and taking the safety class - you know, the one where if you pass you don't have to take the State driving exam?

That got me thinking: what are the great Country songs about motorcycles?  Quite frankly, there's one that stands heads and shoulders above any other country song.

Normally in these posts I try to give some background about the singer, and why it's relevant, and why someone might want to listen to something they're never heard before.  But not today.

C'mon - it's Merle.  With bikes and blondes and a wailing saxophone.  And a dang fine Two Step beat. 



Motorcycle Cowboy (songwriter: Merle Haggard)
I married me a hippy ran away with a stringy haired blonde,
Lord I married me a hippy ran away with a stringy haired blonde.
Now were both gold and happy fishin on our own golden pond.

Hey I love my biker baby she loves her guitar pickin pal,
Lord I love my harley mama she loves her guitar pickin pal.
I'm her motorcycle cowboy she's my long tall gal.

When the party's over it's really over for good,
I said when that party is over it's really over for good.
Honey everything changes wouldn't change back if I could.

Yeah aint got no driveway park my hog out on the lawn,
Aint got no driveway park my big old hog out on the lawn.
Now I aint got much money got a long tall blonde.

I'm her motorcycle cowboy she's my stringy haired blonde,
I married me a hippy ran away with a stringy haired blonde.
Now were both gold and happy fishin on our own golden pond.
Damn.  If you don't like this, I'm afraid we can't be friends anymore.  Just sayin'.

3 comments:

libertyman said...

Oh man, that is you now!
Great tune, I just wish music videos would show more than two seconds of a scene. Some people have attention spans longer than a hamster's and it is frustrating to say the least.
Great post.

waepnedmann said...

I saw Merle many a year ago at a gun show in Anderson ,CA. He has a home in the area.
I did not see anyone talk to him, ask for autographs, etc.
People around here give him breathing room, just like any neighbor.

Eagle said...

maybe not completely about bikes, but...

Toby Keith - Chrome - mentions an Electra glide

Alan Jackson - Still Like Bologna - mentions a Knucklehead (at least, on my copy it does)

There are plenty that mention bikes.