Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pyotr Ilych Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake

Dress up plays a part in many children's growing up.  One of the early pictures of your humble host is me in a Superman costume.  Dad was quick witted enough to grab the camera and snap the pic.  One of my favorite pictures of #2 Son is him in his Spiderman outfit, at about the same age as I had been those many, many years ago.  Dad loved that picture of his grandson, for that very reason.

But little girls don't get Superman or Spiderman.  Quite frankly, they don't need them; they have Swan Lake.

Here is not just Swan Lake, but the Swan Lake ballet, with dancers and everything.And not just dancers, but the Kirov Ballet.  The entire ballet.

You're welcome.

Yes, yes, I know that I'm sexist for not making #2 Son dance ballet rather than dress up as Spiderman.  Clearly Double Plus Ungood® Patriarchal® Oppressors®.  The West has clearly declined since those days, so long ago.



Bootnote: Note to Progressives who are appalled at the grotesque sexism of me and #2 Son (as a young boy): bite me.  And grow up and get a life.

Bootnote 2: Let me know if you want me to post the pix of young me and young 2 Son.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

7 comments:

libertyman said...

A classic performance in every aspect. The music, costumes, and dancing are the finest it gets. Them Russkies shore do know how to put on a show.
I saw some ballet years ago, and was too young to appreciate it at the time.
The athleticism of the dancers is to be marveled at, try keeping up with that pace!
Wonderful post today, sitting here lakeside in the great state of Maine, getting some wicked good culture!
Thanks as always.

Home on the Range said...

I did ballet from age of about 4 until college. I have the height for it but not the build (short legs, seriously center forward of gravity) but I loved it.

I can't help but simply sit still when I see or hear that, even if all I can remember how to do now from the OTHER many dance classes Mom put me in is Riverdance if I have that third Guinness.

Chris said...

My daughter took ballet from roughly age 4 to age 8, then decided to concentrate on soccer (also started at age 4). She said the older ballet girls had "messed-up feet". Although she didn't play soccer past high school, her feet took a beating from that, too. Choices . . .

Old NFO said...

Having seen the Kirov at Kennedy Center, yes the dedication and sheer ability of the dancers is amazing; the years of heartache and sprains/pains to get there, I wouldn't want (nor did we) push any child into that level of pain without it being their heart's desire... Same for gymnastics (both daughters tried that for about a year and gave it up).

And embarrassing pictures? Sure, why not... LOL

instinct said...

One early picture of me that my parents have is of me and my brother dressed as cowboys.

Picture I have of my dad and my son from last Halloween is of him, you guessed it, dressed as a cowboy.

I am going to teach my soon-to-be-here daughter how to throw a punch, just like my son, but if she wants ballet, then ballet it is.

Borepatch said...

Libertyman, enjoy the tranquility.

Windy Wilson said...

Hey, remember, the patriarchy was invented by a bunch of second-string women in some anonymous tribe who thought that getting some guy to work for them was better than being able to f*** any guy they wanted who was never around for roof thatching or any of those hard jobs she wasn't that keen on doing anyway.