Sunday, July 28, 2013

" I don’t think a free society is compatible with an organisation like the NSA in its current form"

Security researcher wins first NSA Science Of Security award, slams NSA:
Yesterday I received the NSA award for the Best Scientific Cybersecurity Paper of 2012 for my IEEE Oakland paper “The science of guessing.”

...

On a personal note, I’d be remiss not to mention my conflicted feelings about winning the award given what we know about the NSA’s widespread collection of private communications and what remains unknown about oversight over the agency’s operations. Like many in the community of cryptographers and security engineers, I’m sad that we haven’t better informed the public about the inherent dangers and questionable utility of mass surveillance. And like many American citizens I’m ashamed we’ve let our politicians sneak the country down this path.
J'accuse, security bitches.  Gen. Clapper (head NSA honcho) will be keynoting the Black Hat conference.  I plan to sit in on this and report to all y'all on what he says.  I'm prepared to be unimpressed, but we shall see.

No comments: