Thursday, March 14, 2013

Well, I did not expect that

I actually like this doc. Can't remember the last time that happened.

I think it's because he combines data-driven explanation of his thought process/decision tree with a decent sense of humor. That sort of appeals to my engineering background.

My ticker seems to be in good shape. The Doc's view is that people die from either heart disease or cancer, so he's running tests oriented towards that.

And he more or less said I should suck it up with the cough. He said that some Docs prescribe things to get their patients to shut up. He offered to write me a prescription but said I'd likely be better in a week or so with it or without it. Kind of refreshing, that honesty.

All in all, a lot less frustrating doctor visit than usual.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The old time remedy for colds is as follows: Put your hat on your bed stand. Sit on your bed and drink from a bottle of good stiff bourbon until you have two hats on the bed stand. Go to sleep.

Rev. Paul said...

It's an uncommon 'common sense' approach. My doc's kinda like that, too, which explains why I keep going back to her.

I'm glad you'll be okay, so to speak.

Wolfman said...

Irish Whiskey punch- best cold remedy ever. Whiskey, hot water, sugar, lemon, cloves- ratios to taste. Warnings- high doses can cause liver damage, slurred speech, and recurring verses of 'Juice of the Barley'...

David aka True Blue Sam said...

My Doc prescribed cough syrup that gave me rubber legs, so I didn't use it. Lots of hot tea, Hall's cough drops, and whiskey at bedtime got me through it.

ProudHillbilly said...

Hard to get a doc that doesn't automatically just pass out pills these days. Which is why we've got such a resistant bacteria problem developing.

Jennifer said...

My doc is like that. And a shooter too. Big win there!

NotClauswitz said...

Hope the persistent cough isn't avian. My elderly mom doesn't lack for the social graces, so she never really goobered-up and hacked a proper loogie - and now she has Lady Windemere Syndrome...