Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Don't kick the puppy

The lawyers (grown-ups all) at Powerline turn their gaze on young Ezra Kline.  It's not pretty:
Klein expresses the view that the Constitution is "confusing" and really can't be understood because it was written more than 100 years ago. Therefore, he suggests, it means whatever a particular reader wants it to mean

Let's put aside, for a moment, the know-nothing stupidity of claiming that anything written more than a century ago is so impenetrable as to be irrelevant. (Aristotle? The Bible? Chaucer? Shakespeare? Virtually every great thinker and novelist of world history?) Klein said out loud, I think, what a great many progressives believe, and his comments fit well with the progressive dilemma outlined by Paul in the post immediately below. Progressive hostility to the Constitution is perhaps the great under-reported story of American politics.
Hey, c'mon, Powerline Legal-dudes!  Ezra was the best student in his class at UCLA!  I mean, his professors all said so!  Who the heck do you think you are getting all Constitution-y on him?

Besides, he wasn't even born until I gradulated from College.  How do you expect him to understand musty old Constitution-y things?

Sigh.

As Crash Davis said in Bull Durham*, I'm not interested in a woman who's interested in that boy.

(Image Source)

* Young Ezra was 4 when that film was released.

5 comments:

bluesun said...

If, say, I'm younger than him, is it ok for me to kick him for you?

Divemedic said...

Using that theory, there are loads of things that are too confusing because they were created more than 100 years ago:

- Emancipation proclamation
- 14th Amendment
- Gettysburg Address
- the game of football
- golf

Whatever college he went to robbed him, and he should demand his money back.

ASM826 said...

And Susan Sarandon, in that era, just works for me. I don't care what her politics are.

BobG said...

The fact that HE can't understand it just tells me that he is the problem, not the document.
I guess they must have used words that were too big for him to understand, which is why we don't let minors sign contracts.

SiGraybeard said...

Guess that means we have to dump Newtonian physics. Calculus. Electromagnetics.

Good grief, I may as well stay home. Not sure how I could get any work done without that!