Saturday, July 13, 2019

Willie Nelson - Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die

Folks seem to think that (a) legalizing drugs will make them more prevalent even though they are for sale on every street corner in the land, and (b) somehow there's a way to win this stupid War On Drugs if we really, really try harder, for real you guys.

Ooooooh kaaaaay.

I really like ASM826's solution - the government should give it away for free.  Hard for the cartels to compete against free, and hard to see why anyone would commit a crime to get cash for their next fix.  Sure, you'd still have people ODing and driving under the influence.  We can probably do something about that last one.

But the fly in the ointment, sadly, is that the government has gotten a taste of that sweet, sweet money and power that comes from the idiotic WoD.  One hit was all it took to get them hopelessly addicted, and so there's no chance at all that the WoD will ever end.  May as well lie back and think of England.  Willie has a strategy to make it less unpleasant.



Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die (songwriters: Willie Nelson, Buddy Cannon, Rich Alves, John Colgin, Mike McQuerry)
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
And if anyone don't like it, just look 'em in the eye
I didn't come here, and I ain't leavin'
So don't sit around and cry
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.

Now, you won't see no sad and teary eyes
When I get my wings and it's my time to fly
Call my friends and tell 'em
There's a party, come on by
Now just roll me up and smoke me when I die.

Roll me up and smoke me when I die
And if anyone don't like it, just look 'em in the eye
I didn't come here, and I ain't leavin'
So don't sit around and cry
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.

When I'd go I've been here long enough
So you'll sing and tell more jokes and dance and stuff
Just keep the music playin',
That'll be a good goodbye
Roll me up and smoke me when I die.

Roll me up and smoke me when I die
And if anyone don't like it, just look 'em in the eye
I didn't come here, and I ain't leavin'
So don't sit around and cry
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.

Hey, take me out and build a roaring fire
Roll me in the flames for about an hour
Then take me out and twist me up
And point me towards the sky
And roll me up and smoke me when I die.

Roll me up and smoke me when I die
And if anyone don't like it, just look 'em in the eye
I didn't come here, and I ain't leavin'
So don't sit around and cry
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.

4 comments:

Glen Filthie said...

You both are completely ignoring the costs associated with the social consequences of rampant drug use. You are also ignoring the cost of your 'free drugs'. To do that, you would need all the usual overhead, plus more bureaucracy and regulatory red tape, warehousing, distribution, clerical and admin, etc etc. Next will follow the welfare programs to store and contain the derelicts before they become expensive corpses to deal with. With that will come the usual democrat carpet baggers, grifters, and shills on the gubbimint dime. In these days with collapsing health care plans and old age security... that is a tough sell for me. As a taxpayer and as a Christian, that is not the way I want my money spent.

At one point in Willie's career, he was blowing around $5k per DAY up his nose. Ol' Willie may (or may not) be a good singer... but nobody can argue that the man was all that that bright.

Borepatch said...

Glen, of course there are costs. But that doesn't change the opening paragraph of this post. Anyone who wants drugs can get them today, so we are already paying those social costs. Despite the $1T we've poured down the rat hole that is the War On Drugs.

Old NFO said...

Look at Colorado. Illegal drugs are back in force, because the 'legal' ones are too controlled/expensive. And the number of homeless/squatters/aggressive panhandlers is literally running good folks out of Denver and Colorado Springs, in addition to the increase in DWIs and ODs... Of course NONE of this gets covered by the MSM, it's all sweetness and light, and free shit... Glad I live down in Texas.

Aesop said...

Anyone who wants drugs can get them today, so we are already paying those social costs.

And that's working so well for you now, you'd like to make it policy, and expand the customer base and social costs five- or ten-fold virtually overnight???

Dr Evil voice: "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight."


Perhaps we could do the same with murder: just give away hunting permits for the asking, and eliminate that whole annoying prison complex thing, because the costs to society of rampant homicide aren't that big a deal, but prison costs are.

Ditto for rape, burglary, and all those other silly attempts to "legislate morality".

Then we wouldn't need any police whatsoever, and a society where every day is a series of gunfights would be so much superior to the current hellhole where carrying weapons is an option, rather than a requirement for survival every minute, awake or asleep.

I keep waiting for you to end the charade, and announce you've just been playing this along to see how many people will say yes and agree with anything, no matter how ridiculous.