Thursday, July 4, 2019

Ten years ago on the forth of July

I put up this post, which is even more relevant today.  Have a happy forth, y'all!

Aaron Tippin - Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle Fly

It's no secret that Country Music has a deep patriotic streak. Some people interpret this as jingoistic and even racist.

Some people don't know what they're talking about sometimes.

A different way to look at this is that a deep love of country can be precisely like a deep love of family: you may not like everything your family does, but you love them anyway.

Aaron Tippin is a Working Man's country singer, with songs like Working Man's PhD and You've Got to Stand For Something. His songs reflect his blue collar background - when he first moved to Nashville as a songwriter, he paid his bills by working nights at the Aluminum plant.

He wrote Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle Fly immediately after 9/11. Not only did it go to the top of the country charts, it peaked at #40 on the Billboard Hot 100. Simple music score, direct lyrics speaking love of country. Not a bad thing for this July 4th celebration.



Where the Stars and Stripes and the Eagle Fly (Songwriters: Kenny Beard, Casey Beathard, Aaron Tippin)
Well if you ask me where I come from
Here's what I tell everyone
I was born by God's dear grace
In an extraordinary place
Where the stars and stripes and the eagle fly

It's a big ol' land with countless dreams
Happiness ain't out of reach
Hard work pays off the way it should
Yeah, I've seen enough to know that we've got it good
Where the stars and stripes and the eagle fly

There's a lady that stands in a harbor
For what we believe
And there's a bell that still echoes
The price that it cost to be free

I pledge allegiance to this flag
And if that bothers you, well that's too bad
But if you got pride and you're proud you do
Hey, we could use some more like me and you
Where the stars and stripes and the eagle fly

Yes there's a lady that stands in a harbor
For what we believe
And there's a bell that still echoes
The price that it cost to be free

No, it ain't the only place on earth
But it's the only place that I prefer
To love my wife and raise my kids
Hey, the same way that my daddy did
Where the stars and stripes and the eagle fly

Where the stars and stripes and the eagle fly

5 comments:

Timmeehh said...

FOURTH OF JULY

Borepatch said...

Timmeehh, of course upi're right. I must rely here on Mr. Emerson for my defense, although it's in reality no defense at all.

But Happy Canada Day! ;-)

libertyman said...

Thank you for the introduction to Aaron Tippin.

A very talented individual, and just a regular guy. Except he has his multi engine pilot's license, two gun stores and his Airframe and Powerplant certification to work on planes.

Let's invite him and his family to the next shoot!

Brig said...

I've always liked Aaron Tippin, and I've always loved my country.
Happy 4th!

--jim said...

Thanks for the post...there's a good chance I loaded that video. I worked for GAC and that is a vintage logo for the network and we spent a lot of time getting the right artwork and closed captions for those artists back then...