Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This is what Saturday Morning sounded like

Back around 1963.



Dad emails to tell me that Alex Anderson - the cartoonist who created Rocky and Bullwinkle - is dead at the age of 90.

It took a long time to realize just how sophisticated the humor was on the show.  From the NYT obituary:
Steven Spielberg told The New York Times in 1989, “It was the first time that I can recall my parents watching a cartoon show over my shoulder and laughing in places I couldn’t comprehend.”
Boris Badinov?  I was probably in my teens before I realized just how funny that was.  And the WABAC ("Wayback") machine was a spoof of UNIVAC.

God Speed, Mr. Anderson, and thank you for many happy hours as a child. 

4 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Fractured Fairytales was always one of the best. The fact that Natasha somewhat resembled Morticia Adams was just a cross-marketing plus.

SiGraybeard said...

Maybe this is too geeky, but I made a lot of friends by saying, "Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a dB out of my ass!!" when the specs on big job changed.

We also used to do "Drizzle drazzle drussle drone. Time for this one to come home" when the overtime was getting to be too much.

Not too influenced by cartoons!

doubletrouble said...

"I'll save you Nell!"

My favorite Mountie.

TOTWTYTR said...

I still remember Fractured Fairy Tales, Sherman and Peabody as well as the Way Back Machine.

Not to mention "Fan mail from a flounder".

They don't make them like that any longer.

And don't start me on the dearth of Looney Tunes on TV these days. It's got to the point that my son is buying DVDs so that his son will have something other than Barney to watch.