Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Remember nostalgia?

Dad emailed a couple days ago to say that in 1966, this was released:



Two months later, it hit #1 on Billboard.  I'm not sure that I'd put it at #6 on the 500 Greatest Songs of Rock 'n' Roll, but there's no doubt that it's a keeper.

Me, I was into Cowboys and World War II stuff then, and so it took a few years before I appreciated it.  I may be a grumpy old fart, but I'm not that old in my grumpy fartness ...

Thanks for the pointer, Dad, and in future I shall strive to be more punctual.  ;-)

7 comments:

WoFat said...

The Beach Boys were a worthless lot, but their music was wonderful. Brings back interesting memories.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

#6? If there are any Beatles songs in the 1-5 spots THIS song deserves to be higher.

doubletrouble said...

Good times, that.

I was a TEENAGER in those days, & the BBs were filling my head w/California dreamin' & cool cars...

bluesun said...

Yes, I grew up in the '90's, but I grew up on this music. Probably why I'm so weird.

BobG said...

I remember quite well when it came out. In 1966 I was a sophomore in high school.

the pistolero said...

500 Greatest Songs of Rock 'n' Roll

It was a Gods-be-damned ROLLING STONE list. Remember what I said about RS.

"Good Vibrations" is still a great song, though. A fat lot better than "Imagine," at any rate.

NotClauswitz said...

I like Surfin' Safari, I know all the words...but I never developed a great fondness for the Baech Boys since we were overseas in a kind of time-warp outside of popular culture when a lot of their stuff went big.
I like them better than the Beatles or John Lennon.