Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dwight Yoakam - Blame the Vain

What do you get when you combine one part Elvis and one part Roy Orbison?  You get Johnny Cash's favorite country singer, Dwight Yoakam.  With 25 million albums sold, Johnny wasn't alone.

He had six platinum albums between 1986 and 1993.  His blend of Orbison-style country-swing-honky tonk combined with Elvis' rockabilly tight jeans and (ahem) leg work made him just about the hottest thing going. Vanity Fair (I know, I  know) correctly said he "strides the divide between rock's lust and country's lament."  Hard to argue with that.

It was his song Guitars, Cadillacs playing in the Terminator 2 bar scene: "I need your clothes, boots and your motorcycle."  And his tight jeans have been a source of (ahem) interest up to the present day.

#1 Son never listens to country, but he suggested today's song.  Yoakam has branched out into film, which is where #1 Son ran across him.  But the music keeps coming, too.  Blame The Vain was from Yoakam's 2005 album of the same name.  It's the old recipe, but it still delivers.



Blame The Vain (Songwriter: Dwight Yoakam)
I blame the vain for what we wear
And I blame the blind when we can't see
I blame it all on someone else
Till there's nobody left, then I just blame me

I blame her mind for the thoughts we share
And I blame her heart for every time we cared
I blame it all on how we used to be
Till she's finally gone, then I'll just blame me

So go ahead and blame anything that you want
Cause it all ends up the same
When everything that you've been claiming is wrong

Oh and don't you know that blame is always never enough
t just keeps you in a game
Till you've only got yourself left to bluff

So I blame the vain for what we wear
Yeah, and I'll blame the blind when we can't see
I'll blame it all on someone else
Till there's nobody left, then I'll just blame me
Till she's finally gone, then I'll just blame me

2 comments:

SiGraybeard said...

Borepatch, you have to to warn us when you post links like that one to "Country California" (up to the present day). My wife almost sprayed water all over her monitor.

On Topic, Dwight's "Fast As You" was the first country song I actually bought a download of.

Paladin said...

My Daughter and her Hubby went to see him in concert recently, and LOVED his live performance. His appearances on film are so vastly different from his country music performances, its hard to believe its the same person.

I'm a fan of both his musical work, AND his film endeavors. His performance as the A-hole boyfriend in Swingblade is especially worthy of note.