Sunday, July 5, 2009

Welcome home

Thou hast nor youth nor age
But as it were an after dinner sleep
Dreaming of both.

- T.S. Eliot

Touch is perhaps the most powerful sense. It offers a connection between the generations: I'm holding something that was held by my father, and grandfather, and great grandfather, and great great grandfather. Ghosts are welcomed to our house when we celebrate an heirloom.

The Marines have a saying - a prayer, really - that begins:
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this is mine.
This is my rifle, but there are no others like it. It was held by my father, and grandfather, and great grandfather, and great great grandfather.

UPDATE 26 July 2009 13:53: More here.

5 comments:

TheUnpaidBill said...

Looks good Ted. A tangible connection to the past is of immeasurable value as we try to establish the character and identities of our children.

Paladin said...

Perfect!

I have a Cavalry Saber that was "liberated" by my Great Great Grandfather during the War for Southern Independence. He was a member of a Home Guard unit that saw action in Northern Louisiana during the seige on Vicksburg.

My practical farming relatives cut off the last 18 inches or so of the blade, to make a cane knife out of it. What was that about beating swords into plowshares? :)

I treasure the part that's left to me.

Anonymous said...

Nice.

Eagle said...

Cool!!!

Borepatch said...

Amen, Bill.

Paladin, if you have it, post a picture.

Gator, thanks.

Burt, as I said, I *love* saying the words "my rifle" ... ;-)