Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Groundbreaking

On this day in 1911, the first shovel of dirt was turned over at the site where Fenway Park was to be built.  To put that in perspective, the RMS Titanic was under construction in Belfast, North Ireland.


Baseball has many great quotes, but one of my favorites is about Fenway.  In the 1978 pennant race the (damn) Yankees beat the Sox.  In the interviews after the game Reggie Jackson said "They told me we needed an insurance run so I hot one to the Prudential building."

And no mention of Fenway is complete without this musical interlude:



Hat tip: The Queen Of The World

3 comments:

libertyman said...

I hate to be a wet blanket, but Fenway is anything but charming. It will never be torn down, as there is not enough room to build a proper stadium there. It still has terrible, uncomfortable seats, obstructed views, and lousy sight lines.

I went to the Nationals stadium in DC, and wow, what a difference.

I will still go to a Red Sox game with you if you come up this way, but it is a crummy place nonetheless.

Borepatch said...

Libertyman, I'd love to go to a game with you. Yes, the stadium is small and cramped and old - I wouldn't have minded seeing a new one built at the port - but it drips with history and is a lot of fun.

gruvinbass said...

I need to get down to Fenway to see a game, just because it's Fenway. Gonna wear a Gibson jersey though :D