Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Gun Pr0n: Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I

Click to embiggen (the original is BIG, just want to warn you)

OK, maybe it's not the "Greatest Battle Implement ever devised" - it has "dead Nazis and Imperial Japanese" written all over it.  This rifle was used (well, available) in World War II: I know, because the markings show that it was refurbished in 1948.

Click to embiggen (the original is BIG, just want to warn you)

FTR means "Factory Thorough Repair" - a complete arsenal overhaul.  It's British manufacture at the Royal Ordnance Factory in Fazakerly ["(F)"] - the 17 Million (!) Lee Enfield rifles were manufactured all over the globe, back when a quarter of the world maps were colo(u)red British pink.

No School like the Old School.

This may be the pinnacle of the bolt action rifle.  The ten round magazine allowed well trained soldiers to put 20 (or 25, or 30) aimed rounds on a 12" target at 200 yards in 60 seconds.  The bolt action is like butter, which you'd need for that "Mad Minute".  Truly, Giants strode the earth back in those days.

The iron sights are spectacular.

Click to embiggen (the original is BIG, just want to warn you)

This picture doesn't do it justice, since you can't see the peep sight.  But this is a serious iron sigh, from back in the day when it was expected that soldiers were to hit targets far away, with cross winds.  Did I mention that Giants strode the earth in those days?

Of course it came with a bayonet (the pointy, stabby "pig sticker" type, not the bladed one).  But it's hard enough for me to shoot straight without the dang thing.

Of course, it's chambered in .303 Brit.  A rimmed cartridge, no less - which explains why the Bren Light Machine Gun magazine was curved.  Duh.  Oh, well, you learn more about something when you can put your hands on it.

I so cannot wait to get this out to the range.

16 comments:

Paladin said...

I've lusted after one of these for years now... Good choice!

Tam said...

My first centerfire rifle was a bubba-ized No.4Mk.I.

ajdshootist said...

Its strange i live in the UK have been shooting for ever but have never owned a 303,yes i have shot a lot of them but never owned one,did have a P17 in 30-06 great rifle and would like a P14 in 303 but good ones are getting hard to find these days.

Carteach said...

Yours has the exceptionally good rear sight I thought was reserved for the Mk II. That is the model I have... a No4-MkII, and yes it is a SHOOTER. Fine, fine piece of military history, and I am honored to own it.

Given decent ammunition, it will shoot a fine group, and mine is easy to handload for. Cast lead bullets over a mild charge turn the Enfield into a joyfully accurate plinker and small game rifle.

Damn.... I may have to get mine out today and put some lead down range (Or Down back-yard, as it may be).

Murphy's Law said...

I have several, both #1Mk3 and #4Mk1. I love them and enjoy reloading for them. I've got a #1Mk3 that was made in India that'll out-shoot a lot of the "new" rifles that the hunters are starting to show up at the range with. Of course it may just be that some of these "hunters" are lousy shots. Your rifle looks great. Let me know if you want a good reload recipe for it.

NMM1AFan said...

Good score! The Prvi 180gr softpoint ammo shoots well in my Fazakerley No.4 MkII.

There's still occasional boxes of Pakistani ball on the market, it has mixed reviews at best.

Regards,

Carteach said...

Um... I should have mentioned.... if you come across any 40's / 50's British or Indian ammunition for your .303, it might be best to avoid using it. Their powder of that day was not as stable as ours for long term storage, and it can get.... interesting.

Jay G said...

[drools]

Very nice pick-up BP!

It is interesting to note that this rifle is 100% MA-legal, BTW... :)

TOTWTYTR said...

That's a mighty fine shootin' iron you have the BP. No doubt Mrs. BP will enjoy shooting it. I hope you took some good pictures, because once she gets her hands on it, you'll never see it again! :)

Seriously, if you can get your hands on some Greek HXP .303 grab it. Radway Green is good as well.

All .303 military ammo is corrosive, so be sure to clean that bad Larry right after cleaning it. Failing that, run some ammonia based window cleaner through it. Then clean and oil it well as soon as you can.

Kevin Baker said...

My first rifle was a No. 4 Mk I* U.S. Property-marked Savage. I have since had another No. 4 and three No. 5 Mk. I's. One of the No. 5's I had bubba-ized to replace one that had been stolen in a burglary. It was a gift for my father. That original burglary victim was the first centerfire rifle I ever shot. It convinced me then that the proper operation of a bolt-action rifle is cock-on-close.

I still have one functional No. 4 and a box-stock No. 5, and the last firearm I purchased (come to think of it, that was a while ago) was a Pattern 14 Enfield in .303 British.

I may have to take that P-14 to Reno this year...

Borepatch said...

Carteach0, that's interesting. I wonder if it is a No. 4 Mk II. The seller said Mk I, but I obviously need to dig into it more.

A quick glance to trace the serial number led me down the Lee-Enfield rabbit hole. I expect it will take some looking.

TOTWTYTR, I expect about the only good thing about going back to Austin is that I won't have to fight the Missus for some shooty time with this.

Given the price of .303, I may take up reloading. Carteach0's suggestion of softer loads is excellent.

Dwight Brown said...

Have you found a sling for it yet?

TinCan Assassin said...

That is obviously a Pakistani copy and unsafe. You need to send it to me for proper disposal. ;)

BP, I have a post on bullet casting on my blog, you can cast from range scrap, lead tire wheel weights, and there are companies that will sell you ingots.

Get you a good single stage to start reloading with, to see if you like it. Lee makes some good stuff.

TOTWTYTR said...

@ Dwight Brown. Good original slings are easy to come by and an essential tool for the Enfield. Ebay always has several listed.

TJP said...

I run full-power hand loads in mine. With today's chemistry, it's easy to get Mark-VII velocities with much lower pressures than cordite.

It's a shame these are getting so hard to find. I used to see them for very cheap in pawn shops everywhere, but that was twenty years ago, so I guess it just means I'm old.

Anonymous said...

"I wonder if it is a No. 4 Mk II."

It is not. The stock is a dead giveaway. And it would be a Mk I/2 if it had the trigger upgrade (which is what the Mk 2 designates). Check to see if there are markings on the butt socket under the safety - it may have been FTR'd at Faz but manufactured elsewhere.

The micrometer rear sight, also called the Singer sight, was standard for all No. 4s. Wartime expediency resulted in simpler sights being used. This one probably had one originally, and got the Singer in FTR.