Sunday, September 11, 2011

Is Australia's government about to be brought down by scandal?

The Knotted Prop brings an interesting situation to our attention:
Downunder in Australia it seems that the Labor government is in trouble and they are trying every legal trick in the book to keep a lid on what could be some very serious charges (allegedly). These are discussed on Ozboy’s blog….
The "trick" is apparently getting The Australian to pull a piece linking current Prime Minister Julia Gillard to embezzled union dues used to purchase and renovate a home that she was living in with her then boyfriend, a Union Boss.  Ozboy brings the details, and very interesting details they are:

Update 30 Aug 2011 0715 - We now know it was a personal telephone call from Gillard to John Hartigan, CEO of News Limited (which owns The Australian) that resulted in the story being pulled. I guess now a precedent has been set. Even Andrew Bolt has been ordered to silence. I wonder if this is a permanent state of affairs.

I don’t get why this detail burned her—it’s a matter of record that they were in a relationship, in all likelihood she was staying nights if not officially living with him. Big deal, most fair-minded people would say. The guy was corrupt to his eyeballs, and that’s also a matter of record. Milne was careful to state there was no evidence that Gillard knew the source of the money with which Wilson bought his house. This whole thing smells.
The only thing I can add is they told me that if I voted for John McCain, the Press would be muzzled by corrupt government interference.  And they were right!

4 comments:

Carteach said...

I think the answer to your question resides in the political affiliation of the players. 'Labor' government, which translates as 'Liberal' government, and is nearly immune to scandal.

You see, to be effected by scandal, one's voters must have a sense of right and wrong.... a sense of shame.... a moral compass.

These concepts are usually lost amongst a crowd of liberal voters.

Anonymous said...

My gosh I'm famous now get orf my blog. I highly recommend a visit to ozboy's a true libertarian thinker and oodles of common sense articles.
Myself I just post now and again and nothing really worthy of attention most times but ozboy's is worth the visit if you want an antipodean point of view.

Borepatch said...

knottedprop: get orf my blog. Heh.

And Ozboy looks like the place for news from the Land Down Under.

NotClauswitz said...

Thanks for the link!